paint over grasscloth wallpaper

Old 02-02-05, 08:58 PM
Margaritabanana
Visiting Guest
Question paint over grasscloth wallpaper

Can I paint over a high grade grasscloth wallpaper?

Old 02-03-05, 05:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, but use an oil primer first so it won't reactivate the adhesive on the grass. Unless you are looking for the painted-grass 'look', I would suggest removing the grass instead.

Old 02-04-05, 06:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you plan to paint over grass cloth, it will need a couple coats of primer/sealer like Zinnser. The grass will bleed through. As indicated, removal and wall prep for new paint is your best option. I've always hated moving into homes where folks painted over wallpaper. Painting makes it more difficult to remove. Wallpaper should never be painted over. Please know if you paint over wall coverings, you will be severely cursed by new homeowners, especially little old ladies like me who tend to get a wild bee in their bonnet and decide to tear out wallpaper at 3:00 a.m. I've torn out painted over wallpaper, and it is no fun. If you are planning to live in this house for the next 100 years and you can live with it, then go for it. If you plan on reselling, acute buyers will take this situation into consideration. Believe me, it is a pain to remove painted over wallpaper. And, that's not to mention that it looks tacky.

Old 09-11-06, 02:05 PM
M
Angry How to paint over grasscloth wallpaper

I have a large basement with grasscloth above a chair railing. Some of the wallpaper is faded but otherwise in good shape. How can I use paint and keep the quality of the grasscloth?

Last edited by Annette; 09-13-06 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 09:46 AM
grasscloth is grass glued to a backing. if you just apply paint to it, some of the grass will probably come off of the backing & leave you with an ugly mess. as stated above, you must prime first with an OIL based (not water based) primer so your wallcovering won't come off the wall from the moisture in the paint. then paint. but know that you will have wallpaper that looks like painted grass. and it's not that great of a look. i saw this very thing recently & i wasn't impressed. i think i actually gasped and said "OMG! they painted grasscloth?!?! ew!!" maybe if you try to use 2 or 3 shades of a color it'll look better than the one solid color i saw.

Last edited by Annette; 09-13-06 at 10:08 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: