wall prep-primer? paint? sizing?

Old 02-08-05, 06:23 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wall prep-primer? paint? sizing?

I removed a formica backsplash and am getting ready to wallpaper with an anaglyptic patterned wallpaper. (it's not the true anaglyptic/clay stuff but it is textured). I've scraped the glue and patched the nicks and holes on the bare drywall. I want to put something behind the wallpaper so it won't be a bear to remove if desired in the future.

I have tons of plain white latex eggshell wall paint. Can I use that and then just paper over it, or do I need to go buy "primer" or sizing or something else?

Also, I plan to dry paste the paper because I did a test spot and just using the pre-pasted back didn't hold. Should I wet the paper and then just apply extra glue or glue it up dry?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-05, 06:30 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You need to apply a wallcovering primer before hanging. Use any of these: Benjamin Moore's Wallgrip, Golden Harvest's Bite, Zinsser's Sheildz White or Sheildz Clear, Zinsser's GARDZ, Swing's Prep Coat, etc.

Paste the piece up dry, no need to wet it. Check for the booking time after pasted, if you wait too long, it might tend to 'freeze' up.

Old 02-08-05, 07:57 PM
K
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Klyla; 02-08-05 at 09:45 PM. Reason: figured it out
Old 02-09-05, 08:47 AM
B
Here's a tip:

Have the primer tinted. That way, if there are any gaps/tears, it is not noticeable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: