wallpapering with fabric

Old 02-17-05, 07:12 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wallpapering with fabric

I'm wanting to wallpaper with fabric, and I've read several articles about it, i.e., what starch to use, how to apply starch, how to cut overlaps etc. What I don't see is the answer to this: When matching a piece of fabric, next to, lets say, the first panel you hung, do you leave the selvages on the fabric? I would think
they would be so obvious, but if you trimmed them, you wouldn't have a perfectly straight edge, and you would have to worry about fraying?
Any thoughts?

Old 02-17-05, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Fabric installation is a tough beast to tackle. Most fabrics I hang have a backing applied to them whether by spray, or lamination. Hanging raw fabric, (unbacked), is a lot more difficult. either the seams can be pre-cut, and butted on the wall, or left as-is and double-cut on the wall. If left as-is, you can decide whether to lop of some of the selvedge, or none at all, which ever makes it easier to hang. If you choose to doublecut, you must protect the seams from paste on the overlap with a piece of blue low-tack tape, or saran wrap, etc.

Another concern is raw fabric will tend to let the paste soak through to the front, which is no good. Application of paste, and the amount of paste applied, are critical. We usually paste the wall and hang, but the chances of paste oozing are still there.

Test drive different methods with the fabric you intend on installing, and choose the best one for you.

Good luck

Old 02-17-05, 10:12 AM
K
starch

I saw a method of hanging raw fabric with liquid starch. Ever done that? You actually roll the starch on the wall, apply the fabric, and then roll more starch over the fabric. It dries clear.

Old 02-17-05, 10:17 AM
i don't think the paste soaking thru is an issue, as she's already stated she'll be using liquid starch to adhere the fabric to the wall. the question was what to do with the selvedges.

i'd definitely cut the selvedges off - don't most, if not all, pattern printed fabrics have a selvedge of a 1/2 inch or so on each edge that's just white, with the fabric's brand name on it & other info? even if you're using a solid fabric without the "info strip" on the sides, the selvedge is a different weave/texture than the rest of the fabric. and you wouldn't want to turn that under, as it would leave a bump, so i'd say you've got to trim it off. it shouldn't fray, because once it's on the wall and stabilized, it won't have anywhere to go or anything rubbing on it making it fray.

my concern is how you plan to clean spots/marks/dirt/dust that may get on it??? that's what's always discouraged me from using fabric on walls ~ it's just so darned fragile! and after all the expense and hard work getting it up there, i'd hate to have the whole thing ruined by a stupid little dirt spot that i couldn't clean off!

Old 02-17-05, 10:19 AM
K
i agree

thanks annette....I agree about the selvedged edges, and yes, you've got a point, how WOULD a person clean it?
Perhaps I'll just shelf this kooky idea!
Thanks alot!!

Old 02-17-05, 10:28 AM
i don't mean to discourage you, if you really want to do this. it's not kooky - plenty of people do it. i've seen it done with the liquid starch many times on the decorating shows, but they never go back a year later & talk about how it looks & how it's held up. i'm guessing it looks pretty bad because of all the dirt that's gotten on it! you know how scuffed & marked up painted walls can get, it'll be no different with fabric walls. it's bad enough when wallpaper gets marks on it, but at least you can clean it, and in severe cases, cut out a damaged section & replace with a patch, but you'd have no way of cleaning/repairing fabric! and i'm sure it's MUCH more difficult to hang than wallpaper, because it stretches far more than paper. and it's hard enough hanging wallpaper!!!

hmm........ok - so maybe i AM trying to discourage you from doing this!!!

if you go through with it, post back & let us know how it went!!!

Old 02-17-05, 10:38 AM
K
I've decided!

thanks for all your input, and you "woke me up", so to speak.....WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!...I have 4 dogs and 2 cats, which means lots of traffic, lots of hair, lots of dust brought in on fur, and cats using the walls as a scratch pad.
I'm so glad I thought of posting here.
DIY.com is the best!!
Regards,
Janice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: