Removing wallpapaer

Old 09-26-00, 03:56 PM
Visiting Guest
I have wallpaper that I would like to remove and paint. I have read posts about the glue it leaves behind and how it will bleed through and stain a wall. Could you use KILLZ primer on it to prime and not have to soak the wall and scrap it all off?

Old 09-27-00, 04:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Weekend_warrior, Without washing adhesive to get to the wall you will see whatever texture if any the adhesive has. This is most often pits and craters. If this is a factor you could wash to smooth the adhesive but not completely remove it. You can prime with an oil based primer. Be advised if the adhesive is clay based you are sealing up a mess in that it never cures as hard as paint and is unstable. Clay based will be dark brownish colored and thick....Mike

Old 09-27-00, 05:48 AM
Visiting Guest
We are in the process of the glue removal as well. We are using DIF and it does not seem to be doing the trick.

A neighbor has said they washed the walls and then put a thin coat of "spackle" on their wall to get it smooth for painting. Ever hear of this?

Old 09-27-00, 03:31 PM
Visiting Guest
JERRYLYNCH, Are you soaking the wall every 5-10 minutes as it begins to dry out? I have seen few wallpaper adhesives that will not give up after repeated soakings. I have seen many papers installed with other than wallpaper adhesive that are not water solvent. This is rare but does happen. You can skim coat the walls to smooth but as I said above if you have wallpaper adhesive it may not be stable and would surely be trouble as you skim coat so I would prime first. Also use drywall compound for skimming. It's cheaper, easier to sand and work with......Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: