wallpapering a room with a ceiling heating duct

Old 10-05-00, 07:46 AM
Visiting Guest
I plan to wallcover a 11x17 room with an 8 ft. ceiling and a 1 ft ceiling heating duct that runs along one wall. I thought of painting the ceiling and heating duct all one color. Then I plan to place a border at the base of the heating duct and at the same height all around the room. The rest of the walls I place to wallcover. In my head I think this will look fine, however, I'm not too sure what the result will look like. My second choice if to wallcover from ceiling to floor, then place the border at chair-rail height. But I still have the dilemma of should I wrap the wallpaper around the heating duct. Or, should I cover from the ceiling down and not cover the underside of the duct, then proceed down the wall with the wallcovering. Please help. I'm confused! Look forward to responses.

Old 10-05-00, 04:46 PM
Visiting Guest
My opinion would be to hang the paper from floor to ceiling and not wrap under the duct cavity. Run the paper around the room, when you come to the duct cavity, cut the paper to lay on the wall and extend out on the cavity, continue with the walls. When finished go back up to the cavity and finish papering across, if it is a peice that reaches the room ceiling and meets the cavity, be sure to cut it in a manner that it will reach the ceiling under the cavity, what I do sometimes is cut it at a slight angle up, lay it on the wall and trim it, go back up to the cavity and cut it to overlap corner by 1/4 inch and start a new piece on the cavity, if you can cut it where you can continue on both surfaces that would be great and that will depend on how square the cavity is. Paint the ceiling of the cavity the same as the room ceiling. Paint the ceilings first!

I hope I explained that right! That is how I would do it, as far as the border goes, you could go around the ceiling of the room then under the cavity at the ceiling from corner to corner, or like you stated.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------

Almost forgot, be sure to use border adhesive or vinyl over vinyl(VOV) for the border, to guarantee it will stay.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited October 05, 2000).]

Old 10-07-00, 01:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Dear Chipfo: Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. The only thing that was holding me back from papering the room was the heating duct. Again, thanks!!

Old 10-07-00, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Your welcome, another thing I do is use strippable wallpaper adhesive even if it is pre-pasted, read the directions for proper booking methods for best results(letting it sit a few minutes after pasting)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: