Wallpaper edges not sealing

Old 10-14-00, 02:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I'm trying to paper my bathroom over another wallpaper. The old paper is in good shape, not peeling or coming up,etc.(its just ugly). I'm using a prepasted paper and no matter what I do, the edges will not seal properly. The paste is activating properly, and I know there is plenty of paste on the paper when I push out the air bubbles. I use the seam roller, etc., just like on the directions. But, the seams keep coming up. I'm tired of trying to reseal them with repair glue. Am I doing something wrong? I have another wallpaper project that needs doing, and I would rather not paint it. Help!

Old 10-14-00, 04:00 PM
Visiting Guest
When hanging wallcoverings over an existing wallcovering you need to use a vinyl over vinyl paste or reprime (with R-35 or oil primer) the existing covering, sometimes re-priming is a must if the existing wallpaper will soak up the moisture causing the paste to soften thus peeling or blistering.

In your case, I would say (site unseen) vinyl over vinyl paste would have worked. For your problem, go to your hardware, paint or wallpaper store and get a small container of vinyl over vinyl paste and a small brush, apply in problem areas and wipe with a sponge and work it gently with your tool, I would suggest a putty knife or simular, use a hairdryer while you are working it being sure to wipe any paste that sqeezes out. Be very careful with the wallpaper as to not damage it, it will be easy while it is damp and warm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: