Wall Papering a Ceilng with Applique

Old 10-17-00, 09:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Any tips on the best way to hang a textured paintable wall covering on ceilings? The room is about 17 x 14. Should I cut the paper into shorter lengths? Go across the ceiling lines or with them? Is this more than a two person job? There are no corners to go around, so do I still need to do a plumb line? Thanks. P.S> I've never hung wallpaper before, only a border, I need help, help!

Old 10-18-00, 04:01 AM
Visiting Guest
bunedockmama, Hanging ceilings is tough work. Keep in mind the first one will be the worst one. I would hang the room across the 14 foot length so you will be certain to get 2 runs from a double roll. At 17 you probably won't get but 1 sheet and a 15 or 16 foot piece. You do need a line to make sure the first sheet isn't run with a curve to it. I roll a kite string in baby powder, pull tight and pop it. Don't use a carpenters chalk line, it can bleed. If you will book the paper as the directions say 2 people can hang ceilings. I would prime the ceiling with BITE PRIMER(Lowes, HomeDepot) or R-35(Sherwin-Willaims) if the surface is not flat paint. Get a gallon of pre-mixed clear adhesive to add to the water to thicken. You will be glad you did.....Mike

Old 10-19-00, 09:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bunedockmama:
Any tips on the best way to hang a textured paintable wall covering on ceilings? The room is about 17 x 14. Should I cut the paper into shorter lengths? Go across the ceiling lines or with them? Is this more than a two person job? There are no corners to go around, so do I still need to do a plumb line? Thanks. P.S> I've never hung wallpaper before, only a border, I need help, help!<HR>

Thanks Mike for the info. One question tho, when you say to add a gallon of adheshive to the water, do you mean the water to put the pre-pasted covering in? Also, (make that two questions)about the plumb line from where do I start? I do have a bump/curve in the ceiling on one side that I can see. Again, Thank-you.

Old 10-20-00, 02:11 AM
Visiting Guest
I sometimes forget that most people dip the paper in a water box. If you find that you need to add clear glue you need to get a board or a door and apply the glue with a paint roller. I mention the clear glue for you because I rarely hang any pre-pasted paper without it and always use it on ceilings. It will hang better and stay longer if some clear glue is used.
In my area most of the textured ceiling papers have pattern that look like old tin ceilings. This leads to needing a line to make the paper run with the crown or ceiling line as well as assure that the first piece has no curve to it. Measure the paper dry, add 3/4 of an inch and make a mark on each end of the ceiling this distance from the wall or crown, pop a line...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: