painting over wallpaper?

Old 10-15-00, 07:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I have recently moved into an older home with layers of outdated, impossible-to-remove wallpaper in the bathrooms. I wanted to know if it is okay to paint over the wallpaper and, if so, what steps should I take to prepare the walls for painting?

Old 10-18-00, 04:46 AM
Visiting Guest
stefanie, Trim any loose paper and prime with an oil based primer such as KILZ Original. Patch any areas that need it, sand and spot prime with the KILZ. Topcoat with paint of your choice....Mike

Old 10-25-00, 12:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi---I had a mobile in which the bedrooms were all wallpapered. I decided to paint them. I used a white primer in the first room but when I went to buy more, a employee at Eagle told me that I could cover the paper with flat white paint and it would work as well and cost less. I did that and it worked just fine. I also did some wallpapering. I just used the white paint over the original wallpaper and then put the new paper on.

Old 10-25-00, 05:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, just plain flat paint will work sometimes, however, you run the risk of bubbles and peeling paper depending on the paper and adhesive. If the paper allows moisture absorbsion then latex paint could loosen the paste thus causing the paper to blister or peel. The oil primer is a precautionary application to prevent moisture from reaching the paste.

Site unseen, it is better to recomend that people prime the wallpaper with an oilbased primer prior to painting or you will have some with poor results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: