How to wallpaper with silk?

Old 03-28-05, 08:41 AM
ck11
Visiting Guest
How to wallpaper with silk?

Hi all,

I recently saw a picture in a magazine in which the walls were 'wallpapered' with silk. I'd like to do the same, but I don't know how to do this. Any advice on which kind of silk works best and how to adhere it to the walls?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Cathy

Old 03-28-05, 11:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think one of the best kept secrets in wallpaper is commercial wallcovering. You can get just about any type of look, including silk, in a 54" vinyl, thats durable and easy to hang. For some reason the paint stores don't really show it, but if you check around, I'm sure there are design centers in your area that may have books to reference.

Old 03-28-05, 11:45 AM
i agree. any store that has wallpaper books will have what are called "silk" books. vinyl wallpaper that looks like silk fabric, but easy to clean & easy to hang. you might also decide to go with a string paper - very similar to a fabric look (actual threads adhered to paper backing).

i've heard/seen where you can adhere actual fabric to walls using liquid starch, but i've always wondered how you'd clean actual fabric on the wall if you got a spot of dirt on it??? i wouldn't want to risk finding out, after the expense & effort of hanging silk!

Old 03-31-05, 08:32 AM
D
There are lines of Scothguarded polyolefin fabric wallcoverings that are commercial 54" goods.

Old 04-03-05, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you choose to hang real silk as a wallcovering, I hope you are a proficient hanger, or a lot of money will be wasted on the material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: