how can i remove wall paper and the paste from dry wall

Old 04-17-05, 09:35 PM
firefairy431
Visiting Guest
Angry how can i remove wall paper and the paste from dry wall

My husband and I bought our house about 2 years ago and well the people who lived there and built the house before us was well idots not only did they do poor construction on the house the put carpet in the kitchen and the floor is very uneven and i can even vaccum it or sweep it or shampoo it but that isnt the problem in our kitchen about a year into living in the home the wall paper started to fail off the walls well my husband and i decided that we wanted to paint the kitchen to make it brighter and more open in there cause every thing was based on blue and the wall paper looked as if it belonged in the bathroom and not in an kitchen well as we started to tear down the wall paper we ran into a problem most of it came off cause the paste was so old but some of it stayed and my husband and i have no clue as to how we are going to remove the paper and the paste cause it is all stuck to drywall and were afraid that if we go to remove it by chemicals or by steam that we will end up messing up our dry wall what can we do i have patches of old wall paper stuck all over my kitchen wall and to tell the truth it is quite embarassing to have some one over and they see our walls what can i do please some one help me

Old 04-22-05, 04:13 AM
mrspruitt
Visiting Guest
Wallpaper remover

I was reluctant to use checmicals to remove my wallpaper but after I had tried everthing else I finally went to my local hardware store and purchased a bottle of wallpaper remover. It worked really well and did not damage my drywall. A co-worker of mine suggested that I try mixing vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spraying the walls to remove the wallpaper but it didn't work for me. I may have had too much water in it though. I hope your project turns out well.

Old 04-22-05, 09:53 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you do mess up the drywall, just patch it. I'd recommend priming before painting anyway. Steam will not mess up the drywall.

First try plain water. Get a sprayer and really wet the wallpaper. Give the water a chance to work. Then take a wide-blade putty knife and scrape.

If that doesn't work, try fabric softener and water. Or try DIFF (chemical paper remover).
As a last resort, try the steamer.

If you knick the drywall, so what? Just patch it and prime it.

Old 04-23-05, 04:56 AM
firefairy431
Visiting Guest
thank you both i will try that and tell you how it goes

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: