removing wallpaper border from builders textured paint

Old 05-06-05, 07:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
removing wallpaper border from builders textured paint

Bought a 8 year old house.
The wallpaper in the kitchen is coming off easy no problem-rip off the top layer and then wet the remaining paper and it comes off...no need for Dif even... but...

the previous owners insisted on putting borders in 2 bathrooms and 1 bedroom...no problem you say? easy, just a small bit of wallpaper?

that's what we were thinking..

WRONG...the border is stuck to the builders paint that they sprayed on 8 years ago or so. We've used DIF(scored, supersaturated, whatever) and it makes absolutely no difference. The problem isn't getting the wallpaper off, the problem is keeping the paint on the walls. Some parts of the wall the wallborder is removed with minimal damage but in other parts the wallpaper will lift up some of the cheap old paint (seems too often peal off easier than the wallpaper when wet). The problem is its a cheap textured paint and once it gets wet it comes off the wall with semi-relative ease...when the paint is dry its fine but once it gets wet when removing the wallborder its bad...my wife and my mother-in-law spent about 6 hours and pulled off about 8 feet of the border in one room...

so, any secrets to remove the wallborder from the builders textured paint?
is the adhesive different from regular wallpaper?
DIf seems to make absolutely no difference...

or can I just rip off the wallpaper, removing the underlying paint, and repaint a thin band of paint and retexture it appropriately??

help!

Last edited by wp746911; 05-06-05 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 06:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It could be applied using VoV or border adhesive only, which is a big no-no.

can I just rip off the wallpaper, removing the underlying paint, and repaint a thin band of paint and retexture it appropriately??
Honestly, this is probably your best bet.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: