Painted-over wallpaper refuses to budge!

Old 05-15-05, 06:55 PM
Harshman4
Visiting Guest
Question Painted-over wallpaper refuses to budge!

I've used DIF and soaked, scored and soaked some more (and soaked and soaked), scraped, and even used my sander and half a package of sandpaper - this stuff is not coming off! It's taken me all day to get one panel of paper off the wall! I've thought about trying to mud over it (do a texture type of thing), but it's in a stairwell and I can't reach high enough to do that. Could I water down the mud a bit, and roll it on with a paint roller? Should I just keep scraping all day for the next week? I know I can't just paint over it - part of it is down to the plaster, part has a painted layer of paper, and it's very uneven (you can see it, and can really feel it).

I need to get this done before my spouse gets home from a trip - I don't want to be rushing anyone to the hospital because of a coronary!

Thanks!
Harshman4

Old 05-20-05, 05:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I didn't see this earlier.

Use a sander on a pole, and sand it all down with 80 grit. Not smooth, just hit the whole surface to knock off all the loose stuff and high edges. Then, dust it off, and prime over it with an alkyd or oil primer. Let it dry, and float or skim over the rough areas with joint compound. Several thin coats until smooth. Then, lightly sand it again, and prime over the repaired areas with an acrylic primer. Then paint it.

Old 05-28-05, 11:14 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a friend who does all of her own painting - alot of it over existing wallpaper - she puts a layer of Kilz over the wallpaper, and paints away! I've been to her house, and you would never know that there is wallpaper under the paint!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: