Help! Can I hang untrimmed wallpaper?

Old 05-29-05, 08:06 AM
Ferry_Tavern
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! Can I hang untrimmed wallpaper?

Hello everyone. I really need some advice. I purchased untrimmed wallpaper. It was VERY expensive but I thought I'd go all out and get something that is historically accurate for my 1816 home. I thought I could handle the fact that it is untrimmed. Now I'm worried. Do I have to have this stuff hung by a professional? It's just a small room - bathroom vanity. Can it really be that difficult? I have a razor knife - went ahead and cut the first piece using a long level and wallpaper scissors. Now I'm afraid to start hanging. If I screw this up it will be an expensive screw up! I've read about double cutting. Maybe I can do that? Advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you! Shelley

Old 05-29-05, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Untrimmed papers are usually trimmed dry, meaning you cut a piece, then trim off the selvedge, then hang it. Don't try to doublecut it.

It would really help if you could tell me what type/brand/manufacturer of the paper. Many different high-end papers have specific quirks.

Old 06-01-05, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
let's think about this: if you "went all out" and bought "very expensive" paper, that's historically accurate, don't get cheap now & ruin it. pay a pro to do it & have it look perfect. if it's only a small room, it won't be exhorbitantly expensive. you'll be glad you did. hanging untrimmed wallpaper for the first time, when it's Expensive paper, is not a good DIY project.

Old 07-30-05, 12:23 PM
Ferry_Tavern
Visiting Guest
Untrimmed Paper - Carter & Company/Mt. Diablo Handprints

Originally Posted by prowallguy
Untrimmed papers are usually trimmed dry, meaning you cut a piece, then trim off the selvedge, then hang it. Don't try to doublecut it.

It would really help if you could tell me what type/brand/manufacturer of the paper. Many different high-end papers have specific quirks.
Thanks for your advice! The paper is made by Carter & Company/Mt. Diablo Handprints. Thanks, Shelley

Old 07-31-05, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Went to the website, and its very nice stuff. Very $$$ indeed.
Unfortunately, they didn't detail their type of substrate its printed on, or offer any hanging instructions. My advice would be to hire a pro, and save your investment. If you need info on a hanger experienced in this type paper in your area, then PM me, and I'll get you some contacts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: