Need help removing wallpaper glue

Old 06-19-05, 08:24 PM
gaily_68
Visiting Guest
Need help removing wallpaper glue

We bought a great house , but it was built in 1976 so there is lots of wallpaper...everywhere...BROWN FLOWERY wallpaper! Anyway I noticed it peeling off in places & at first it came down so easily...whole strips, no residue left behind, just peel & pull. Then as I started on the next section, it didn't go as well. I was told to use liquid fabric softener & hot water, which worked great on getting the paper down. The problem now is all the glue. I have scraped & scraped & it is still slimy feeling when it is wet & I was told that means there is still glue on it. Any easy was to remove this glue? The walls behind the paper are painted (looks like flat paint). What do I need to do before I can paint? Do I need to use an oil based primer? I started to buy some Kilz, but didn't know exactly what to get. Do I need to make sure ALL the glue is gone first? Also, can I use lightweight spackling to fill in the nail holes? I know this is alot of questions...I just want to do this right, but am on a shoestring budget! Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are concerned that there is still glue/residue left on the wall, you can prime over it with a heavy-bodied slow-drying oil primer. This will seal in the paste, and keep it from degrading the primer.
Lightweight spackle works fine for holes.