wallpaper removal q's

Old 07-08-05, 07:52 AM
pushylady
Visiting Guest
wallpaper removal q's

Hi there.
I'm going to be painting a dining room which has wallpaper on it. I've read a few threads here for advice and am still a bit confused. So, to start off, do you just start pulling off the paper to see how that goes? Or are you supposed to soak it well with water first then start pulling? I was thinking of renting a steamer - I used one years ago and it wasn't too bad to use, but now I'm worried about damaging the walls. What do people think about steamers? It is the same process for removing borders along the top of the walls?

Old 07-08-05, 03:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi -
Are all the walls wallpapered? If there are loose edges, you may want to try pulling to see what comes off - remember, most wallpapers have two layers - usually a vinyl layer, with a paper layer underneath. What I've done is wet down the wallpaper in a small section with warm water and vinegar - I've also heard that fabric softener mixed with warm water works. I then can get off at least the top layer - I then go back and wet down the second layer, and when it starts to "bubble" - pull away from the wall, I remmove that. The last thing I do is to wipe the wall down to remove the leftover wallpaper paste.

If this paper is over drywall, be careful not to remove the top layer of drywall paper, or else you'll be sanding and spackling to get an even finish....

Borders seem to be easier to remove with this process than regular wallpaper.

Hope this helps -
Blessings,

Debbie

Old 07-09-05, 08:06 AM
pushylady
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I guess you just don't know with wallpaper until you start on it.

Old 07-09-05, 09:05 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In a way, it's fun - and a puzzle - no project ever ends up as easy as it seems at first, especially in an older home....

Good Luck -
Blessings,
Debbie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: