Removal of multiple layers of wallpaper?

Old 07-11-05, 06:38 PM
Humbug
Visiting Guest
Question Removal of multiple layers of wallpaper?

I have begun wallpaper removal in the kitchen ready to paint it. I started pealing off wallpaper, but there's always another layer underneath. I've gotten to about 6 to 8 layers, it's difficult to tell as I'm not sure with some layers whether it might just be the backing or not. But I have counted at least 6 different patterns so far.

I seem to have gotten throught to the wall proper as I've hit the plaster now I think.

What I wanted to know is. Is there a method for pealing off numerous layers of wallpaper? As the method I used in the bathroom of peeling off the top layer of wallpaper and then wetting the backing and scraping off will not work with so many layers of paper hung.

I fear this job may take forever if I don't find a better way.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its pretty much soak, soak again, soak some more, and keep on soaking.

Old 07-13-05, 01:59 PM
Humbug
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. However, I have another problem now. Most of the walls in the kitchen has as the bottom layer of wallpaper a very old looking wallpaper but I can't shift it. I've tried soaking it but the top part of the wallpaper, which almost looks like backing, is small squares about 2 to 3 inches wide and the water/soap won't penetrate it.

I even went to the local diy store and bought some basic wallpaper remover. But it has the same effect and it won't penetrate the top layer. It's not like a vinyl layer which will peel off.

I can scrape it off but it takes forever. There are just no loose parts. And it's really firm against the wall. I've tried on and off for 3 or 4 hours today and only managed to remove about 18 square inches of wallpaper. If I continue like that it will take me weeks.

Is there a better, more industrial strength, wallpaper removing solution that can handle the problem? I have to remove it as I want to paint the room and it wouldn't look right as some parts of the room are bare wall now.

Old 07-13-05, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use Safe & Simple Removal products. For the toughest stuff, try the 826.