Shiplap & cardboard walls with paper and paint

Old 08-08-05, 06:08 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Prepping Shiplap for wallpaper

I've searched this forum for the answer to my problem, but haven't quite found it.
I'm in a 1910 house with shiplap interior walls. They were covered in some cases with muslin before papering, and in other areas there is only what I can describe as cardboard (about 1/16" thick gray paper) as a base for the many layers of wallpaper (some of those old patterns I'm seeing in stores now ! ! ! ).
I'm curious what's best to do after removing all paper down to bare wood. Someone suggested filling wood gaps with foam insulation "tubes." Are there other suggestions for prepping the wood (1X6" shiplap planks horizontally nailed), some of which is slightly warped, heck, it is 95 years old.
I'm not sure I can use joint compound here, either under or over wall liner, which I'm thinking of using as the surface before painting. Two layers of liner??
Any suggestions are, of course, GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by Blinky114; 08-13-05 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-14-05, 06:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you planning on painting or reinstalling wallcovering?
Is this job to be a full correct restoration, or just a do-over?

Old 08-14-05, 08:03 AM
B
I would like to do a full correct restoration. If I find just the right thing, I may wallpaper again, but I'm leaning toward paint, I've done more painting, and only a little wallpapering.
I've seen too much "do-over" work, and I don't want to do that.
Thanks
blinky

Old 08-14-05, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A full restoration would include reinstalling the muslin under any wallcoverings.
For painting, liners would probably be the best way to go.

Old 08-14-05, 09:19 AM
B
Thank you!
Most of the walls don't have the muslin, but this THICK gray paper. I've never seen it anywhere available for purchase. Have you ever seen this?
And I haven't seen how to hang the muslin anywhere if I go that route in appropriate areas of the house. Tack/nail & paste, or just tacking/nailing? Then just hang wallcovering like normal?
Also wondering how to give the walls a smoother finish look. I won't be able to hide all the cupped boards, which is fine. I could go with a textured wall covering, for that matter.
ever curious,
blinky/mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: