Wallpaper removal peeling sheetrock off

Old 08-16-05, 07:05 AM
wrh7787
Visiting Guest

Hello,

We are in the process of trying to remove a very ugly 3 foot large border installed by the previous owners of the house in a childs bedroom. We have tried a steamer, dif, dif gel, nuclear devices and alot of four letter words.

What is happening is the firts layer seperates from the wallpaer leaving that paper backing behind, when we use dif to take it off and a scraper it peels the paint behind it off with it and sections of the paper from the sheetrock.

Now I am faced with two issues,

1) How the heck do I get this off?

2) how do I fix the damaged wallboard?

Its was a "self adesive" style wallpaper that they used wallpaper glue on, I hate this stuff!!!!

Thanks everyone for the help!

BH

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-05, 07:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, try to cut a strip of plastic as wide as the border. Soak the backing, and tape the plastic over it. This will keep it wet long enough to (hopefully) reactivate the paste, allowing it to be removed. Are you letting it soak long enough before trying to remove? Remember to wash off all the paste while removing the border. If not, it could eat through paint at a later date.

For the drywall repair, apply a coat of Zinsser's GARDZ to the damaged ares. Let dry, and skim coat the areas with joint compound until its flush (smooth) with the wall. Then reprime with the GARDZ, and its ready to paint.

Old 08-16-05, 08:06 AM
wrh7787
Visiting Guest
Hello and thank you for answering,

I will try that now, how long should I leave it soaking? And should I peel the vinyl layer off first and leave it soaking thru the paper or does it really matter?

Its also peeling the paint off the walls, so it looks like alot of skim coating is in order.

Thanks

Old 08-16-05, 01:50 PM
Peel the vinyl off first.
Allow it to soak long enough to be able to srape of the border backing with a 6" putty knife. Use a green scrubby sponge (SOS or steel wool feel) to wash off the adhesive as you go.

Old 08-19-05, 06:16 AM
wrh7787
Visiting Guest
Your advice is priceless!! It worked great!!! YOU THE MAN!!!

Couple last questions,

1)When peeling the vinyl off it sometimes took the paint layer under it off with it, do I just us patch on this and sand down?

2) I am trying to get the rest of the glue off but I am afraid that some feels like it is left behind, I purchased a stainblocker/primer for the room (Behr) since the previous owners painted it with a satin finish in a very deep forest green....AHHHH and painted monkies on the walls with red florescent eyes. (kids were really freaking out in that room, couldnt get anyone to use it!! ) is that good enough to paint over the glue residue that might still be there?

Thanks again!

Old 08-19-05, 11:39 AM
1)When peeling the vinyl off it sometimes took the paint layer under it off with it, do I just us patch on this and sand down?
Yes, just skim coat these areas with joint compound. ,sand them flush, and prime them before painting.
2) I am trying to get the rest of the glue off but I am afraid that some feels like it is left behind, I purchased a stainblocker/primer for the room (Behr) since the previous owners painted it with a satin finish in a very deep forest green....AHHHH and painted monkies on the walls with red florescent eyes. (kids were really freaking out in that room, couldnt get anyone to use it!! ) is that good enough to paint over the glue residue that might still be there?
wash off as much as possible, then let it dry. Sand that area down with 80 or 100 grit sandpaper. Wipe off the dust, and then prime this area with Gardz. The Gardz is great for this as it will not let the area under it rewet so the residual paste won't have a chance to re-activate when its painted.

Old 10-01-05, 12:43 AM
mbeilke
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by prowallguy
First, try to cut a strip of plastic as wide as the border. Soak the backing, and tape the plastic over it. This will keep it wet long enough to (hopefully) reactivate the paste, allowing it to be removed. Are you letting it soak long enough before trying to remove? Remember to wash off all the paste while removing the border. If not, it could eat through paint at a later date.

For the drywall repair, apply a coat of Zinsser's GARDZ to the damaged ares. Let dry, and skim coat the areas with joint compound until its flush (smooth) with the wall. Then reprime with the GARDZ, and its ready to paint.
I came into this late but am having the same problem only I have a whole bathroom to remove. It was apparently wallpapered directly over unprimed steetrock.

What kind of plastic are you talking about and will it damage the sheetrock by leaving it soak too long?

Old 10-02-05, 06:33 AM
We use medium-thin construction rolls of plastic, .75 mils thick.
Yes there is a window of opportunity to find, when the paper will come off, and before the drywall starts to delaminate.

Old 10-06-05, 10:27 AM
mbeilke
Visiting Guest

Okay, the plastic helped a lot. I'm just about done with one area of a 2 part bathroom. I am down to repairing the damage which involved the sheetrock paper peeling off (light layer in most areas) but have 2 deeper patches that came off when I originally pulled the wallpaper off before trying to remove the glue. I also found one short seam above the doorway that looks like the drywall was never taped & several cracks at an angle from the top corner of the door. How should I fix the deeper patches & those newly discovered cracks? Does the GARDZ go on after repairing these? Also, can a couple of stubborn glue spots be sanded if they don't want to come off?

Slow learner....!

Old 09-19-07, 10:09 AM
Paper pelling from drywalls

Hello, all
I have found all messages are useful. We just bought a ranch house built in 70s. We removed wall papers from Hall bath and kitchen. Now it comes to the hard part, we are removing wall papers in the master Bathroom. The wall papers were directly applied to drywall. When the wall paper came down, so as the paper face of the drywall. Here is my question:

Should I peel off the drywall paper which are already
separated from dry wall before repair , or should I leave as it and apply the sealing coat? I wonder if I leave as it, the wall will become bubbling when painted.

Please help.

Thank you all.

Jk

Old 09-19-07, 12:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jk

If you can cut the loose paper and remove it and leave what is still stuck, that would be best. I wouldn't paint over any loose paper.

Old 10-02-07, 11:10 AM
Smile covering wall blemishes

You can buy some wall texture stuff from HD and Lowes that you add to paint. It will help hide any blemishes that you may have left in your wall after the wallpaper removal and repair disaster. You may not want that textured look but I used it in my entry hall area, I'm happy with the outcome.