removal of flocked (fuzzy) wallpaper

Old 09-22-05, 01:02 PM
grommity2
Visiting Guest
Unhappy removal of flocked (fuzzy) wallpaper

I've looked through ALL the postings and didn't find anything about removing flocked wallpaper. We've been in our house for four years, and it's time to finally get rid of the stuff, even though it has been fun to pet the walls

Before I get started, I want to know if anyone out there has ever tackled removal of such wallpaper. I'm guessing it has been on the walls for 25 years or so, and it is REALLY stuck on. It hasn't lifted off anywhere, even on outer wall corners or under light switch covers. Does anyone have a sure-fire method of getting this stuff off the walls? I'm scared to start, but it has to go. Thanks for your help!!

grommity2

Old 09-22-05, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I hate to say it but flock is the paper removers biggest nightmare. Especially the type with a foil backing. Try the usual methods, pull on it, see what happens. Then start soaking it. Check out these steps for help.

Sometimes, we paint over it to create a more stable substrate, and it pulls off better. This is only a last resort though.

Old 09-24-05, 09:19 PM
grommity2
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Sort of a solution...

Thanks, prowallguy, for your suggestions. After an unproductive evening of spraying with warm water and scraping, (and I also tried spraying a mix of Fleecy and water), we knew we had to find a better way. The paper was coming off in postage-stamp size pieces. Tonight I used my clothes iron (which has a vertical steam feature) to steam the wallpaper, which helped it come off in much bigger pieces. After the top layer was removed, we found that it worked best to spray the adhesive layer with hot water, let it soak in, then steam it, and then scrape it off. I'm guessing a real wallpaper steamer would be the best, but if you want to use what you've got and save some $$, just use your iron. Oh, if you have an older iron that you don't care about, I'd say put the iron right on the wall while you steam; I was just holding it as close to the wall without touching it. Hope this helps any other unfortunate folks who have inherited fuzzy papered walls

p.s. I also found that if the paper was lightly scored with a wallpaper perforator, it helped; but don't go crazy with scoring it or the paper won't come off in very big pieces.

Old 09-25-05, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't envy you at all. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: