Need Prowallguy - Desperately!!! (Anaglypta problems)

Old 11-03-05, 05:49 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Prowallguy - Desperately!!! (Anaglypta problems)

I hung anaglypta paper on the ceiling in the kitchen and the results were awful. How do you smooth out bubbles without flattening the relief? The paper stretched like crazy making it almost impossible to line up the pattern. I had planned to hang the same type paper on the dining room ceiling but now I am scared to. Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Last edited by Handy M'am; 11-03-05 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-04-05, 04:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Was this a true 'anaglypta', or a faux look-a-like? True anaglypta shouldn't stretch, but its vinyl counterpart will.
How was the ceiling prepped, and what adhesive was used?
Did you use a plastic smoother, or a bristle sweep?

Old 11-04-05, 09:59 AM
H
It was true anaglypta made in England. The ceiling is plaster and had been sanded smooth, primed and painted then de-glossed, cleaned carefully, and prepped with wall prep. (The ceiling in the dining room is the same.) The adhesive was a clay based adhesive as recommended by the Mfg. The adhesive works extremely well but it was extremely difficult to get an even coating on the paper. I read that the clay based adhesive is to be applied so as to "fill in" the impressions on the back to keep it from flattening down - correct? I used a bristle sweep to smooth the paper but any working of the paper to align the pattern left flattened out places in the pattern. The pattern is a square, medallion, style designed to resemble a punched tin ceiling.

Old 11-04-05, 12:20 PM
Well, you have me baffled. I've never had problems with anaglypta stretching. There could be a slight mismatch, but it should be within the 1/8" tolerance.
I always use clay adhesive also. A bristle sweep works, it should be a fairly stiff one.

What product/brand was used as the wallcovering primer?

My only conclusion is either you didn't sweep it aggressively enough to remove the bubbles, or the paste is 'gassing off', which in this case, the bubbles should dry down. How long has it been installed?

Old 11-04-05, 12:29 PM
just to interject here: i think the problem she's having isn't with bubbles, it's with having the pattern flatten out when she's smoothing. i've never thought that stuff was for the average DIY-er. my neighbor had a "pro" install some on her kitchen ceiling and he ended up flattening out the pattern on every seam.

the spongy kind, that's flat on the back, is much easier to install.

Old 11-04-05, 02:13 PM
True there, I misread.
With a clay adhesive, it should be real tacky, and sweeping it with bristles should be no problem. I usually set the seams with my finger, as compared to a seam roller. But if you have to sweep so much it flattens out the relief, then it is either placed on the ceiling in a haphazard way, resulting in lots of trapped air, or problems with the paste creating bubbles once its swept. Clay is sticky enough to lay the paper in position, and sweep once to lay it completely down.

Also, if the primer used created a vapor barrier, or isn't very porous, the paste could start to gas off before the whole sheet is hung, creating bubbles, causing the hanger to over sweep the material, hence flattening out.

And no, I don't believe anaglypta is for the DIY'er either. It's not the easiest to hang by any means.

Old 11-05-05, 02:59 PM
H
Anaglypta Problems II

Many thanks to both of you for your help! When using the clay based adhesive, is it supposed to be applied so that it fills in the embossed pattern from the back or is it supposed to be just on the surface? I used Sherwin Williams Pro-732 heavy duty adhesive. It has a good smooth consistency and adheres well.

I think I would have had much better results if I had not been trying to paper the ceiling. Talking about a pain in the neck (and arms, and shoulders and back etc.!) Any tips for papering a ceiling? I love the look of anaglypta and really want to put it in on dining room ceiling but I want it to be as close to perfect as I can get it. But, I am going to practise some more before I tackle it.

If it is stretching, would reducing the wait time after the adhesive is applied to when it is hung help?

Any hints, suggestions, and professional secrets will be greatfully accepted.

Thanks again very much to you both for your help.

Old 11-05-05, 04:45 PM
Yep, just spread the adhesive on the flat surface, no reason to work it into all the voids. Also, reducing booking time will help cut down on stretching. I haven't hung any in a while, and can't seem to find any instruction labels in my records. Follow the manufacturers instructions according to booking time.

A tip for ceiling installation, use either scaffolding or a walk-board/plank, and a helper. Trying to do this from a ladder by yourself is way too hard.

Also, glue-size the ceiling first. Take some of the 732, cut it 50% with water, and roll out a nice, even glaze on the ceiling. Let it dry, then hang over it. This will give good tack when you position the piece, rewetting the size, and essentially 'velcro-ing' it in place.

Still curious as to what you used to prime the ceiling with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: