Removing wallpaper from unprepped walls?

Old 01-27-06, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing wallpaper from unprepped walls?

We bought this house several years ago and we're starting to do some improvements. I want to remove the wallpaper in the bathroom and peeled back a portion to see what was underneath. There's only 1 layer, but the wall is just kind of a grayish color, so I'm assuming no prepping was done. The house is 18 years old and I'm sure it's the same paper hung as when it was built. Should I try to remove it? I'm wanting to paint the walls, but not sure how involved it would be with unfinished walls underneath. Would I be better off putting paper back up? If I did want to go ahead and paint, would I have to paint like a primer coat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 10:35 AM
whether you plan to paint or paper, yes, you need to at least TRY to remove what's up there. a grayish color could be the wallpaper backing. read these instructions on how to remove wallpaper & see how far you get. post back with any problems you run into.

painting over wallpaper looks awful. and papering over wallpaper can make the paper underneath come loose from the wall, which will, obviously, take off your new paper, too.

attempt to remove what's up there.

Old 02-01-06, 08:12 PM
Thumbs up Same problem

I Just did the same thing. After removing the wallpaper and seeing drywall I was not happy! Lowes (hardwear stores) now carries a powdered texture you can pour directly into your paint and paint the wall at the same time. I used the med grain. It turned out pretty well. I think it's called "Paint'N Tex"

Old 02-06-06, 01:44 AM
Thanks........

I appreciate the help. Still unsure what I'm going to do. Anyone else had any experience with this "Paint n Tex" stuff you add to your paint?
Wendeeg, did you have to completely remove all the wallpaper glue before painting? I was thinking if I textured the walls myself with mud I wouldn't have to worry about getting the walls completely cleaned of the glue. Since this wallpaper has been up 18 years, I'm a little concerned about getting all the glue off the drywall.
Thanks again. I'll look into the "Paint n Tex" next time I go to Lowes.

Old 02-06-06, 04:02 PM
If you can't remove all the glue, sand it down, and prime it with an oil or alkyd primer. This will ensure the adhesive won't reactivate with the moisture from mud or acrylic primer.