So In Need Of Help [difficult wallpaper removal]

Old 03-07-06, 06:12 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So In Need Of Help [difficult wallpaper removal]

Hi Everyone

I really badly need help.
I brought a house (which is about 25 years old) it must have been fashionable in those days to stick wall paper in every single room (but two )

Anyway i found some rooms such as the bathroom and toilet really really really easy to remove but the other rooms I can not make it budge

I have tried every single thing from steaming, hot water, glue disolver mixed with water, scrapping, other hired machines, sanding, wall paper removing soluctions and many more.......I have spent soooooo much money trying to remove this wall paper from ONE room only (and remember i have the rest of my house to do) and i have came to the conclusion its just not going to work......instead all i am doing is making a huge and utter mess to my plaster. If the wall paper does manage to come off i am left with the underlay (the off white colour part which is like its furry) on the wall and this will not move what so ever. I really am over all the gimics and all the soluctions everyone that i know suggests.......as it might have worked for them but it certainly does not for me.
I was told that if the wallpaper was glued straight to the plaster and not a painted wall then it is nearly impossible to remove....and i have found that to be soo true. as the previous owers put wall paper to plaster they did not paint the walls what so ever!!

After spending hundreds of dollars on products that dont work i now have to replaster my hallway (the only room i have tried to remove it from) as its ruined from everyone trying all these different ways.

I was told recently there is a product on the market that allows you to paint it on your wall paper and it acts like a complete seal...........it never lets the wallpaper peel or lift. I was told you add this to your walls, sand and add again and then you can paint straight over your wall paper without ever knowing it was there. Therefore the wall paper never lifts, never peels and you can never see it again.......i was wondering if anyone knew what the best product was for this and if they have used it can you see your wallpaper under your paint?????

any suggestions would be great as im in tears here

thanking you all sooo very much in advance

Ok im guessing no one can help me......does anyone know any other sites that i might be able to try then...any information would be grateful....i cant explain how depression this subject is.
thanks again

Last edited by KylieD; 03-10-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 08:02 AM
D
Although it is best to remove the wallpaper, sometimes it just won't budge, or will destroy the wall underneath if the proper prep was not done on the initial installation.
Even though it's not my first choice, I've painted over wallpaper - the key is that the wallpaper is totally secure on the wall - If the paper is secure and small repairs are done, the first step is to float out the wallpaper seams with joint compound. You will have to sand or wash the compound after drying to give you a smooth wall. Make sure the area is well lit so that you can see any imperfections or seams showing. If the paper has a texture to it, you may have to float the whole wall. After you have the wall smooth, use a penetrating sealer, such as oil based Kilz,( available in big box and other paint stores) over the whole wall. If the paper is dark, you may have to apply 2 coats of sealer. Let the Kilz dry for at least 3 days - then paint your wall color over that.

Blessings,

Old 03-12-06, 06:40 PM
B
The key is a solvent based primer. Do not use a water-based primer.
If the paper is flocked, try the primer in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't disolve the flocking.

Old 04-23-06, 06:39 PM
K
As aggravating as this has been so far, maybe it would be better to just go ahead and put some really thin drywall over the old walls, get them taped and bedded and be done with it.

You have my sympathies, believe me. We had a nightmarish battle with our hall bath wallpaper, ended up nearly destroying everything in sight and finally put textured paint in a kind of venetian plaster look over what was left of the drywall. It turned out beautiful and we get lots of compliments on it.

I hope things work out for you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: