Remove and Reuse?

Old 03-13-06, 09:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove and Reuse?

Hello,

We're doing some remodeling and I need to remove wallpaper in order to relocate a door opening along a wall. When I'm done, I intend to repaper the area in question. However, the wall paper has been discontinued by the mfg and I don't have any old left over material. Does anyone have experience in removing and reusing wallpaper? The walls are sheetrock that were primed with a PVA primer/sealer prior to the paper installation. The wallpaper is not a heavy duty commercial material, rather it is your typical residential paper. Any advice would be much appreicated.

Thanks,

Chad

Old 03-13-06, 10:25 AM
even if you were able to remove an entire strip without ripping it, it would only be the top vinyl layer that you'd get off, leaving the backing material stuck to the wall. you'd never be able to get the strip to realign with an existing strip good enough to match the patterns, because it will have stretched so much. even if there's no pattern to match, i can't imagine hanging a strip of wallpaper with no backing........surely it wouldn't look right, or like the other strips, and therefore, it'd look strange.

i would plan on removing all the paper on that wall & finding a coordinating paper, and have that wall be an "accent" wall. or just repaper the whole room. if the paper's been up a while, it's probably time for a change!

Old 03-13-06, 10:54 AM
C
More info

The paper in question is not vinyl faced. It is a true "paper paper". . .

Old 03-13-06, 11:13 AM
well that's not really "typical"! most papers now are vinyl coated or solid vinyl. but now even more, i'd say it's not possible. i would guess that it'll rip without the stretchy facing holding it together. also, it's been trimmed to fit, so now you won't have any extra length to trim off. therefore, i wouldn't think your top & bottom edges would look very good.

is there a pattern to match?

try it. what have you got to lose? try to get it off in one piece. if you do, great - proceed to trying to hang it. if you can hang it & it looks good - even greater! but i wouldn't get your hopes up.

let us know how it turns out!

Old 03-13-06, 11:27 AM
C
Removal suggestions

Any advice on how to try and get it off in one piece?? Many thanks . . .

Old 03-13-06, 11:38 AM
i have no experience whatsoever with all-paper wallpaper. sometimes, when the wall has been properly prepped and the pre-pasted vinyl-coated or solid vinyl paper has NOT had additional adhesive applied (that is to say, it's just been immersed in water to activate the paste on the backing), it will come off in one full sheet when pulled off. you can just get a hold of a top or bottom edge and pull gently & evenly and it comes right off. but i'm pretty sure that's because of the vinyl holding it all together. you've got a big sheet of just paper there, which has been glued to the wall (i'm sure it wasn't pre-pasted) with pretty good adhesive. i'd say your chances are slim to none at getting it off in one piece. but like i said, i have no experience with real paper paper.

anyone else?

Old 03-14-06, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There is no possible way to get it off whole that I know of. You must wet paper type paper to remove it, and it will never be hangable again, even if it came off in one whole strip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: