Wallpaper border did not stick -- can I add adhesive now?

Old 03-28-06, 11:02 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wallpaper border did not stick -- can I add adhesive now?

We made our first attempt at hanging some border yesterday. Followed the directions as best we could (they must have had a limit on words, could only use what fit on the tiny label:-) It was pre-pasted vinyl border, from Chesapeake Wallcoverings Corporation. After we immersed it, then let it set to activate the paste, we attempted to apply it to the wall (painted about three or more weeks ago). The edges of the border would not stick at all. The middle seemed like it was sticking, but I am not really sure it was. We worked for quite some time with a clean wet sponge (as per directions) to attempt to seal both the top and bottom edges down but they absolutely would not stick.

We finally gave up, and of course now the border is dry again. Is it possible to re-activate the original paste (which didn't work very good the first time) or can we buy some adhesive to apply? Will that work very good, or have we just ruined about 10 feet of border?!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lori

Old 03-28-06, 11:14 AM
if the paste didn't stick the first time, it sure isn't going to stick now! immersing it at this point would only wash off what's remaining. you can definitely still hang this border. just get some border adhesive, or vinyl over vinyl adhesive, in a little tub (quart) and use a disposable paint brush to "paint" the glue onto the back of the border, making sure to get the edges completely covered, then hang. be sure to not squeegy-out all the paste by over-smoothing the border. just smooth enough to remove all air pockets/bubbles. you should be fine.

however, if you want to ensure easy removal on down the road, you'll draw a level horizontal line where the border will be and paint a wallpaper primer in the area first, before hanging this border. then when you go to remove it in a few years, it will come off easily in one nice big piece, instead of either in tiny little slivers OR ripping your drywall off with it!

P.S. after you immersed it and "let it set", was it booked (folded in on itself) or just laying out open where the edges could've dried out?

also, is your wall flat/smooth or textured?

Last edited by Annette; 03-28-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-28-06, 02:05 PM
X
The wall is smooth, no texture. When we laid it out for the paste to activate, it was folded in half, with backing touching backing.

We'll get some adhesive, and try that. Do you think we should go ahead and apply adhesive to the rest of the border? Or give it one more try and see what happens with the unused border?

One thing that might have happened is, after we immersed it once for 30 seconds and pulled it out of the water, there appeared to be a lot of dry spots (we weren't sure how that could even happen as we immersed it completely in several inches of water). We immersed it again to make sure everything was moist.

Thanks so much for your very quick reply. We'll see what we can salvage The border will be there forever (or at least as long as we own the house). We aren't the type to redecorate once we've done it once! I take so long to pick out what I want that I never want to change it

Old 03-28-06, 02:18 PM
you could try it again in the water. this time, gently swish it slowly back & forth in the "deep" water as you unroll it, making sure no air bubbles are sticking to the border, keeping spots dry. book it as you lift it from the water. NEVER re-immerse - once it's wet, the glue has liquified. re-immersing is equivalent to washing off the glue.

but personally, i wouldn't mess with the water route. it failed you once, it'll probably fail you again. professionals never rely on the paste that comes on prepasted papers or borders because, more often than not, it's worthless (regardless of the brand or cost of the paper). get the paste, paste it yourself, know that it's up there good, and be done with it. you'll need the paste for the corners where you slightly overlap the border anyway. it's only slightly more work to paste a border yourself. you can use your (clean) counter top as a work surface. just wipe up the paste that gets on it right away, before it dries, with a wet sponge.

Old 03-28-06, 02:46 PM
X
Thumbs up

Okay, thanks so much! We'll get some paste and try that route. I think I would feel better with that method anyway. Once we get it up there I never want it to come down

Are there different types of pastes and any I should make sure I get, or not get?

You are so helpful!!!!! I have hope now, I wasn't sure we would be able to use the border until I found this forum.

Lori

Old 03-28-06, 08:12 PM
B
Like Annette said, never rely on the paste of pre-pasted paper or borders.
Go to the wallpaper store or a real paint store, NOT a big box. They have what is essentially watered down paste that is excellent for wetting pre-pasted backs. You can apply with a brush but I always use a roller.
For a border, Sherwin-Williams has a small bottle with attached roller. Works great on borders.

You do have to let it book as you do with water.

When you re-immersed the border, you washed off some of the paste. Booking eliminates the "dry spots". You compounded the problem by over-working the edges. ie) what glue was left, you squeezed out and sponged off.

Oh and the wallpaper primer Annette referred to: Zinnser makes on called Sheildz. It is a primer and sizing all in one and can be tinted. Great thing about shieldz is you can reposition the paper with little stretching and removal (even years later) is a breeze.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: