How do I remove wallpaper without doing damage to the sheetrock?

Old 06-27-06, 01:17 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do I remove wallpaper without doing damage to the sheetrock?

ok best way to remove wallpaper? I am a new home buyer, don't know much but willing to learn to do it myself, but this awful grape wallpaper in my front walkway has got to go!!! any info would be helpful

Old 06-27-06, 02:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Very carefully

How easily the paper comes off is determined in large part on how the wall was prepped/painted under the wallpaper. Soaking the paper with water helps to dissolve the glue. Using an utility knife to score the paper will help the water to get to the glue. They sell a 'wheel' at paint and paper stores that will cut the paper without having to worry about cutting too deep.

With a bit of luck the paper will come off in big pieces. With no luck you will have to fight to get small portions off. Either way it is doable. The harder the paper is top remove the more likelyhood that drywall repairs will be needed - no big deal to repair cuts or any damage to the drywall.

Hope you enjoy your new home

Old 06-27-06, 02:47 PM
if it's solid vinyl or vinyl coated paper (and it probably is), i think it's easiest to get a hold of a corner & pull off the vinyl coated top layer first (it'll probably come off in pretty big pieces or sheets), then work on the papery backing that will be left on the wall. you can spray the backing with hot tap water (you can add some dish wash soap or liquid fabric softener) from a spray bottle til it's soaked. let it sit a little while (keep it wet), then use a stiff floor scrubbing brush with a handle to rake off the now-slimy paper backing. hold the bristles at a 45 degree angle & push them into/against the edge of an area of backing. this method will do a lot less damage than a putty knife will & won't gauge the drywall. be sure to put down a plastic drop cloth or newspapers or something to protect the flooring and make cleaning up all that mess easier.

and don't forget to have fun!!!

Old 07-05-06, 11:14 AM
W
Windex

After you've plucked at the edges, and can't remove anymore, spray the area down well with Windex and let it soak for a few minutes. The original brand of Windex works best. Repeat as necessary.

You'll be amazed at how it will remove any type of stubborn wall paper and adhesive residues. Without using all those other tools that will mark and mar your walls.

Old 07-06-06, 04:30 PM
T
There is a gadget called a wallpaper tiger that can be used to pierce holes in wallpaper that will allow soaking solution through and expedite wallpaper removal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: