HELP!!! Strange wall problem (Wallpaper Removal)

Old 07-07-06, 12:36 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!! Strange wall problem (Wallpaper Removal)

I am removing wallpaper in my home and it's gone smoothly so far, the usual mess.

I started peeling some vinyl wallpaper down in my living room and it looked like it was coming down easily, it looked like it was going to be my easiest room.

But on one part of the wall something started coming off with the wallpaper, it's not the drywall, there is drywall underneath, but it has paper on some of it, like a thin layer of drywall on top of the drywall. It's not all the same thickness though.

Out of curiousity I continued to peel one section near a corner and metal corner edgeing was underneath.

What is this stuff and how should I deal with it?!?!? Apparently it is covering this whole room and probably the room I was going to paint next that I though was painted drywall. I've only removed a little wallpaper on this room, just wanted to see what I was in for and now it looks like a nightmare. Whatever it is doesnt' seem to be adhering in this one area, I can slip a putty knife underneath it and crack it off.

I don't want to remove this from the entire wall, it may be adhering just fine in some places. I am afraid to continue with my project until I find out what this is and how I should approach it. I was figuring I should remove the wall paper and skimcoat with drywall compound the bad areas like this. I have no idea how much of the room will be like this, the other patch I did seemed fine.

Or maybe I shouldn't try to crack it off the unadhering stuff, maybe I should remove the paper as good as I can and just try to blend the bad spots in weather they are adhered underneath or not.

Everything was going along pretty good until this, I don't have the money to have my whole walls rebuilt, for all I know the rest of the house has this same coating. What should I do.

I am going to cross post this in the other forums to increase the chance of help.

Old 07-07-06, 10:57 AM
M
I tossed and turned all night so I didn't get up early to finish with the wall.

I did make a couple observations though, the sheetrock appears to be painted or "sized" like the rest of the walls in my house. The "layer" is also "sized". I wonder if they skimcoated over some wallpaper and it is no longer adhereing.

The wall is more of a partition than a wall, there is a foot or a little more down from the ceiling and a couple of feet on each side. It serves more as a partision to the dining room. I don't know if the wall was added or the wall was there and opened up but the little bit of paper I peeled from the other walls so far do not seem to have this problem.

I don't know weather to chip all of the loose stuff off or just the thin stuff and attempt to skimcoat and blend the rest in

The problem with chipping the entire wall surface is the edge that goes into the other room is even and that would create a ridge. Also some of the stuff is thick and hard to chip, it seems that the higher up on the wall it is the thinner and looser it is.

If they skimcoated they did a heck of a job cause it looks really even and flat. I can't figure out why they did that as it looks like the origional sheetrock is just fine, unless there was some wallpaper that could not be removed or something.

Maybe the wall was there and they cut though it and the coating was to smooth out the inner edges.

Tommorrow I will wipe on the bottom layer to see if there is residual wallpaper paste. If I seal it with gardz can I then skimcoat over that? Should I use plaster instead?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a photobucket account and will try to post links to pics later on.

Old 07-07-06, 12:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Pics might help. I have been trying to visualize what you have but come up blank My first thought was you left the backing of the paper on the wall but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

It is almost always best to remove whatever is loose [even a skim coat] as anything that isn't stuck well now isn't likely to stick better later.

Old 07-08-06, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd assume it's either the backing of a previous paper, or a liner paper.

Old 07-08-06, 10:24 AM
M
Here are pics

Cause it's hard to describe. I think this wall was modified in some way, widened or something, and the "layer" was added to make it nice and smooth for wallpaper, probably to smooth out the inner cuttout part, but this is all guessing on my part. The stuff is thicker on the inside and is thinner towards the top of the ceiling and walls.

this one shows some paper that has peeled, notice it is thick vinyl with no backing paper. You can see two layers, there is primed or sized sheetrock covered with a layer of primed and sized something or other

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/Dsc00006.jpg

Here you can see some paper between the layers, I can't seem to determine if it's wallpaper or something else. The paper isn't under the entire layer, just some parts

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/Dsc00004.jpg

Here is my putty knife stuck under some of the thinner stuff that is near the top of the ceiling. The layer gets very thick and hard to chip near the bottom.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/Dsc00009.jpg

Here is a shot of the wall. The edgeing should be on your left as this is the right side of the wall. I tried to rotate it in photoshop but dont' know how it will come out. again, it gets thinner as you go "out".

It was hard to get a shot of the whole wall. It's more of a partition, it's a foot or so from the ceiling and a couple of feet from the walls. That's why I think they opened up an existing wall.

This treatment seems to be limited to this one wall. My plan so far is to chip the thin stuff off and lock it with gardz. Then sand the sharp edges and attempt to blend with drywall compound. I suppose I should prime the gardz with cover stain to create a "toothe" so it doens't come down. The thick part is pretty hard to crack so I don't really want to disturb it. I don't plan on papering over it so I am thinking that as long as nothing pulls on it, like wallpaper, then it wont' come down. Also, the bottom part of the top of the wall blends into the other room which has no wallpaper in it at all. If I chip all the layer off I will have a ridge from the part of the wall in the other room.

I am open to any suggestions. I will take more pics as the disaster. . . . opps I mean project continues.

Old 07-08-06, 04:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I believe PWG hit it on the head - looks like paper liner.
It looks like it may have been patched over at one time or mabe it stuck too good and pulled some joint compound off with it.

I would recomend removing it all and then after patching, skim coat the wall. You would then have a good wall to paint [or paper]

Old 07-08-06, 04:41 PM
M
margos wall mess

dear margo . looks like someone skim coated compound over layers of backing & wallpaper to hide the seams & tears in old paper. your removeing the skimcoat and the paper down to the metal corner bead. you could spackle the damaged areas level with compound meeting the old compound thats left, if possible or remove it all, if its only one or two walls it may be easier to sheetrock over the walls thats a sure thing in this case mastabrush

Old 07-08-06, 06:33 PM
M
thank you for the replies!

I don't think sheetrocking over this wall will be any easier, not for me anyway. I would still have to mud over the tape and stuff.

It's weird though cause so far in the rest of the house they simply removed wallpaper when they repapered. The previous owner was a professional paperhanger and the walls have been properly prepared. They did some additions to the house and some other major changes and that's why I thought maybe the wall was modified. The other walls in that same room seem to be ok.

I've had to skim coat some large areas in each room for one reason or another, I guess this will be more of the same. I'll post pics when the project is done.

Old 07-08-06, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The first layer is a fabric-backed vinyl. It should strip down clean. Next layer, light brown/tan, is an old layer of backing. The next layer, the hard, white stuff is plaster or joint compound. That is definitely a skimcoat. I wouldn't try to remove that layer. Just remove down to it, prime the wall with Gardz, and re-skim out the uneven areas.
The second picture shows an old (green/silver) paper-paper, possibly foil, underneath it all. Probably impossible to remove that one.

Old 07-09-06, 12:36 PM
M
further analysis of layer

Here are a few shots of one of the thicker layers off the wall

THis first shot shows the surface right under the paper, it's smooth and primed (or "sized")
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Dsc00005-1.jpg

Here is the same piece on the other side, this is the surface that is not adhereing when I pull the paper off, I can slide a putty knife under the thinner layers of this stuff
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Dsc00004-1.jpg

Here are a few shots of the piece and it's "laminates". There appears to be a paper liner that you can peel off and some plastery stuff, drywall compound I guess
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/Dsc00001.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Dsc00002-2.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Dsc00003-1.jpg

And finally this layer shows the suspected FOIL LAYER!!!!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Dsc00006-1.jpg

Funny thing is the foil is not visible in all pieces. some of the pieces are a little different, some have hardly any drywall stuff at all, its pretty much paper.

A friend of mine said there is some stuff, a paper liner, they used to put on walls to make it smooth for wallpaper. I wonder if they put that on over stuck on foil, then skimcoated the rest of it. I knew there was foil in the dining area because there is still some in the closet, (I'll bet it was groovy) but I didn't think it extended into the living room. I'm wondering if the entire living room and dining room area is treated like this and if so why isn't it cracking from any other walls.

Oh well, I'm not going to try and chip it all off, it gets quite thick in some places and is very hard to chip. I'll removed the thin stuff, it's practically falling off anyway, and try and blend from there. I'll post pics of my progress, maybe it will help another do it yourselfer.

See, this is why I cringe when somebody tells someone to paint over the wallpaper, it only postpones the inevidable and you have to deal with a bigger mess someday. I have silver foil in my skylights and would like to make them white and normal someday. I suppose when that day comes I will learn the reason why people paint over wallpaper.

Old 07-09-06, 05:44 PM
M
margos mess

by the way the guy that invented foil paper, the rage in the 60s & 70s [ which dosent come off with a blow torch, plaster maybe sheetrock never] should be wrapped in it and set a drift mastabrush

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: