Wallpaper Removal Nightmare: Drywall Tearing, ?No Primer?

Old 08-12-06, 03:29 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wallpaper Removal Nightmare: Drywall Tearing, ?No Primer?

I'm in the process of removing wallpaper from the bathroom. I used a Wagner 750 steamer that removed the paper wonderfully.

Now there's glue. Lots of it. I mean lots. And it's not coming off like it seems to have come off with everyone else.

I've tried everything including Fabric softener, vinegar, DIF, Citrus remover, KrudKutter and hot water with dishwashing liquid. The glue comes off painfully slow. In some places, it doesn't even come off. If it does, it takes about 10 minutes to remove a few inches. And there's a whole bathroom!

But that's not the only thing coming off. See closeup here...

I'm starting to see brown backing in places I'm scrubbing too hard. And as I look closer, I'm starting to realize the wall was never primed or even painted by the prior owners/builders. Also, when I wipe, the sponge gets all muddy as if the drywall is coming off. I'm under the impression the glue has adhered quite well to the wall and simply does not want to come off. And from what I've read, painting over the glue (or even priming) is out of the question.

Basically I'm tired and kicking myself in the a** for even starting this project. Especially with the wifey pregnant and giving me the ole 'huff' everytime she sees the walls.

So I'm in need of help. Here are a few questions...ok..one question. What the **** do I do? lol...

I see a few posts about skim coating. Would that work? What about 're-mudding'? I love getting my hands dirty and I just want the walls to look their best and not crack a few years down the road.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-12-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-12-06, 04:24 PM
J
Probably don't want to hear this.

I really hope you get some more helpful advice on the wall.

In your place, I would

1.) Re-rock the wall [but I enjoy that], or

2.) Re-paper with paintable wall-paper [I hate that].

Maybe you can sand the glue off?

As for advice on the pregnant wife? Well, before the pregnancy and the bathroom are done, she will get annoyed at you just for breathing; pregnancies are not easy.

But she told you to finish the nursery first, and you didn't listen, did you?

Old 08-12-06, 06:30 PM
N
Originally Posted by jhomeowner
I really hope you get some more helpful advice on the wall.

In your place, I would

1.) Re-rock the wall [but I enjoy that], or

2.) Re-paper with paintable wall-paper [I hate that].

Maybe you can sand the glue off?
Thank you for the reply and ideas. Btw, what is re-rocking? I tried googling but couldn't find much info.

Sanding is defintely an option. I have a little makita that's dying to be used again. And that thing rips through wood. So I'm sure the glue won't stand a chance.

Originally Posted by jhomeowner
As for advice on the pregnant wife? Well, before the pregnancy and the bathroom are done, she will get annoyed at you just for breathing; pregnancies are not easy.

But she told you to finish the nursery first, and you didn't listen, did you?
lol...Spoken like a man that's been there, done that.

Anyone else have a suggestion.

Old 08-13-06, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Re-rocking means to re-drywall.

I would sand the walls with 80 grit to make smooth as ppossible, then prime it with a slow drying long oil. Don't use Kilz, it dries too fast to penetrate. Ben Moore's Oil primer works well.
After oil primer is dry (usually 24-48 hours), lightly sand walls, and skim coat uneven areas with joint compound. Sand repairs smooth, and dustoff/clean walls. Prime all walls with a top quality acrylic primer, then paint with finish paint, 2 coats for durability.

Old 08-13-06, 08:22 AM
N

Off to the store!

Thank you both for the leads and help! I promise to report back with results.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-16-06 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post above
Old 08-16-06, 03:48 PM
M
Take a breath, calm down!

No need to rerock the wall! I am going through my own little wallpapering nightmare myself but it's getting better because I have learned that everything seems to be able to be fixed.

Do a search on zinsser gaurdz. That's what I used on mine. It says you can put it on right over the paste but I try to get as much paste off as I can.

I then skimcoat to get my wall nice and smooth again. It's not as hard as it sounds, I'm getting pretty good at it by now. Better to do a couple of thin layers, if you use a wet sponge you can minimize sanding. Put some more gaurdz on top of that.

Even if you resheet rock the wall (somebody always suggests that for some reason) you will still have to tape and mud the seams, skimcoating is much easier. I have a wall where I think they must have used knockdown texture, then something over that to harden it, because it was rough but could not be sanded, this was a non papered wall. I have another wall where this stuff came off pretty bad around the edges.

Check into the zinsser guardz, it will lock down that paste you cannot get off. I would still try to get off as much as you can.

My method is this
wash
gaurdz
skimcoat
gaurdz
oil based primer (either zinnser cover stain or BM alklyd based primer)
then finally latex topcoat.

I may have too many steps in there but my walls look a lot better than they did, I thought it was hopeless when I started this project.

The previous owner was a paperhanger, every wall in my house has paper on it, some of the ceiling had it also. I only have 8 more rooms to go! Only 5 of those will be redone in the immediate future though.

Gaurdz is very easy to use, I rolled it on with a roller. I was told I did not need to prime after that but I did anyway.

Also do a search on skimcoating, once you get the hang of it you will find your project almost enjoyable. Definatley put something over the skimcoating (like gaurdz) to seal it down so it doesn't make the paint blister.

Old 08-16-06, 06:33 PM
M
forgot to mention

If you sponge down the paste and wipe it like you are doing, then when it seems thick and soft use a putty or drywall knife on it to scrape it off it might be easier, that helps me sometimes when I am working on a thick part.

Old 08-16-06, 07:23 PM
J
In defense of the re-rockers, I must point out that those walls looked terrible, and that replacing sheet rock is [relatively] easy, and fast, if one is decent at mudding. Also, it is a complete fix, not a 'patch', and bathroom climates are notoriously hard on walls.

I only replace plaster walls when there are multiple reasons; the walls are in bad shape, AND the wire needs to be up-dated, AND the wall needs insulation.

Thanks for the Gaurdz tips; I'll try it some time.

Old 08-18-06, 10:01 AM
Did you use a wallpaper scraper. It's got a long razor blade on a long handle. You find them in the wallpaper section. I have one of these and it removes everything , even when it is dry. You wont get far with just a putty or drywall knife. I can't count the times I have known someone with a nightmare wallpaper removal job and I give them my wallpaper scraper and they get more done in 10 min than they have in 2 days.

Old 08-19-06, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rebeljeep
Did you use a wallpaper scraper. It's got a long razor blade on a long handle. You find them in the wallpaper section. I have one of these and it removes everything , even when it is dry. You wont get far with just a putty or drywall knife. I can't count the times I have known someone with a nightmare wallpaper removal job and I give them my wallpaper scraper and they get more done in 10 min than they have in 2 days.
I agree, but a scraper in novice hands can create a disaster too.

Old 08-20-06, 03:00 PM
A
Wallpaper removal...

Netade.....I know you've tried all kinds of liquid solutions but my wife discovered quite accidentaly that wetting the paper for a few minutes allowed her to pull off or putty knife scrape the top layer of the paper down to the brown portion that is pasted to the sheet rock. The thing that worked (very well) was Fantastic spray cleaner...after a good wetting with it, the brown paper stripped very easily by simply peeling it off or using a putty knife.

Old 08-20-06, 07:38 PM
M
I am finding that in my latest room the paste is taking even longer to get off than usual. I guess when folks put up paper after taking down the old stuff they just leave the paste on and put on more paste. I worked on it for hours yesterday and only managed to get most of one wall done. I moisten it and use a putty knife and it comes off in big layers but it still takes a long time getting all the slick off with a scrubbie. I tried doing a larger section but it seems like it just took longer, I'm going to do smaller sections from now on, it's easier to keep the wall moist and get it all off before moving on to the next section.

Oh well, this room is actually coming along a little faster than the others. I primed and painted the ceiling yesterday too, between wall scrubbings and my neck hurts today.

The ceiling turned out nice though, it's textured and I used zinsser gardz on it before priming with zinsser cover stain then topcoating with BM ceiling paint. I used one of those foam rollers with the slots cut into it. It was messy but it's done now and looks good, it reminds me of cool whip!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: