how to take off wall paper glue from the stairs

Old 01-01-07, 06:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to take off wall paper glue from the stairs

Who knows how to take off the brown stuff that wallpaper leaves on , from the stair well. (where I can't reach from.) can I just paint over it. From all the water I had used to get the paper off. This brown is pretty clean off.
I disabled, and I'm trying my best, but it not worth a hosp. visit.
It cost to much to have a handy man over. The money is going to help finish the kitchen. The money going toward paint, stove vent, flooring when it on sale. So is it safe, and doable to leave it there?

Old 01-01-07, 07:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Whoever does the painting should prep the walls before priming and painting. Vinegar/water solution and plastic scrubbie are usually sufficient for removing wallpaper paste from walls. Stairwells are difficult for everyone unless they have tall ladders or scaffolds. If stairwell is not too high, you might try your sponge mop if handle is long enough. There are telepscoping squeegies with sponge on one side and blade on the other for cleaning high windows.

Please tell me that you are not planning on doing the painting yourself. Painting walls in stairwell will require getting up to top where walls and ceiling join to cut in the paint with a brush. For now, leave the wallpaper paste in place until you develop a safer plan and can shanghai and friend or family member into helping you.

Old 01-02-07, 06:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The wallpaper paste really should be removed. 12poles suggestion for trying a sponge mop sounds good. Sometimes dried adhesive can be removed by sanding - use a pole sander.

If you can't reach the top of the wall to remove the adhesive, how do you plan to cut in the paint? I also agree it would be good to get someone to help you with the high work. It is always best to have help when working in precarious conditions, even if you are in good physical condition.

If you must paint over the glue it should first be primed with pigmented shellac.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: