Wallpaper liner over cement?

Old 01-01-07, 07:46 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpaper liner over cement?

i am writing about my basement. I live in a townhouse. The basement is unfinished, although 2 of the walls have wallboard on them-the 2 side ones. The other 2 walls are poured concrete. I don't have the money to finish the basement at this time. But I would like to do something to make it look a little nicer. I read on another website that I could buy walllpaper liner and put it over the concrete walls and paint it. It would be to smooth out the walls so it would look a little nicer than paining the concrete directly. Does this sound like a good idea? I have done lots of paining, so i was thinking of just painting the walls with a latex paint. They are in good shape, there is no water probelm. But if I can put wallpaper liner over it to make it a little smoother, maybe that would be a good idea?
Ideally, I would love to have it sheetrocked, and painted, but as I said, I have zero money to have someone do that. The wallpapering and painting is something that I thought I could do myself.

Anyone have any experience, comments?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-07, 05:16 AM
T
You can apply liner over concrete walls. Here are some tips from Waverly:
http://www.waverly.com/Project/wpdirect.asp

Old 01-02-07, 08:23 AM
H
Thanks! But won't the seam of the wall liner show through when I paint over it?

Old 01-02-07, 09:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
You can smear a little spackling over just the seam itself to help hide it.
Personally I'd be a little leary of hanging paper over concrete, I'd be afraid any moisture in the concrete would adversely affect the papers bond. I'd opt to paint the concrete - patch any voids, coat with drylok [or block fill if it's above grade] and then apply 1-2 coats of your choice of latex paint. But then I'm a painter, not a paper hanger

Hopefully prowallguy or one of the other professional paper hangers will have time to advise further.

Old 01-02-07, 03:12 PM
T
Painting would also be a less expensive option.

Old 01-02-07, 06:24 PM
H
OK. Marksr, if I were to just paint the concrete, when you say "patch any voids", what do I use?

p.s. I can't use anything that requires a lot of ventilation because of a lack of windows down there.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-07, 06:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
There are masonary patching compounds available at most big box or hardware stores. You could also use durabond. Joint compound or spackling will also work but can be damaged by moisture.

None of the patching materials will have as much odor as the paint. I think the latex based drylok costs $1 per gal more than the oil base but well worth the extra cost - the oil base will stink up the whole house not just the basement.

Old 01-03-07, 06:13 AM
T
If purchasing paint, get low-VOC (volatile organic compound) emission paint. Read labels. Your local paint store should be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 01-03-07, 09:04 AM
H
OK, thanks!

Old 01-08-07, 06:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Even though I'm a paperhanger, I'd opt to paint this one too. Do as marksr suggests, and it will turn out nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: