Wallpapering over wallpaper

Old 01-04-07, 12:23 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpapering over wallpaper

First, I do not consider myself a rooky. I have wallpapered before. I have read all the reasons for not wallpapering over wallpaper and still want to wallpaper over the existing vinyl smooth wallpaper that is in good condition. I am unclear from readings if I should use both a good quality oil primer sealer over the existing paper as well as using a vinyl on vinyl paste or does one take the place of the other? THANKS

Old 01-04-07, 04:19 PM
T
If you hang wallpaper over wallpaper, prime to seal the wallcovering then size over the old wallcovering. Clean vinyl wallpaper with harsh detergent, degreaser, or TSP before priming so that surfaces will be very clean for good adhesion of primer.

Read the following link on this website re: wallpaper over wallpaper: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/wallpaperovwallpaper

Old 01-05-07, 10:24 AM
and plan it out so your new seams don't fall directly on top of the old seams.

Old 01-05-07, 04:30 PM
T
Good point about the seams and their placement! Too, if seams are gapped, fill with joint compound, let dry, and sand before priming. If there are imperfections in the existing wallpaper, they will likely telegraph through new wallpaper.

Old 01-08-07, 06:48 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm curious as to why you don't remove the old paper first?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: