Wallpaper half removed, walls messed up

Old 03-25-07, 10:59 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wallpaper half removed, walls messed up

I began removing the peeling paper in my bathroom, only to discover that the walls had not been primed. I proceeded to try to remove the wallpaper backing with warm water, but I was leaving dings and scrapes in the wallboard. I purchased a wallpaper remover liquid and had the same results. My question is should I just try and paint over the paper remaining on the walls, leaving the paper which hasn't been partially removed up or should I attempt to remove all of the top layer of the paper, prime, and paint? I have only worked on about 20% of the surfaced which need attention.

Old 03-25-07, 01:53 PM
B
Its always best to remove the old wallpaper. Failure to remove the old paper leads to other issues, down the road. The wall can be repaired with joint compound and Gardz primer.

Old 03-25-07, 03:51 PM
B
I'm showing my level of experience here, but are joint compound and the spackle (I think thats what you call it) that you use to fill up nail holes in the wall the same thing? If not, do you work with them the same way?

Old 03-26-07, 08:11 AM
no, spackle is only for teeny tiny little holes, like nail holes & stuff, and comes in a little tub. joint compound is what drywallers use to "mud & tape" sheetrock. it's much thicker & stronger & for using in larger areas, such as what you'll need during "skim coating" to smooth out your walls.

to skim coat, you'll use a broad knife (6" or larger) and apply super thin coats to the wall, allowing to dry inbetween & very lightly "sanding" with a wrung out sponge. but after the joint compound is all dry & super smooth from "wet sanding", you'll need to seal it with the Gardz primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: