HELP!! wallpaper and super glue?!?!???

Old 04-09-07, 05:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP!! wallpaper and super glue?!?!???

I hung a border 6 years ago, and now think that I must have used super glue or something!!....I have scraped off the "cover" and am left with the paper backing and "the glue"....It must have special properties as it never peeled over the past 6 years, which is a rarity for my projects not to have a glitch!......I have sprayed zinzer DIF on it, and it just seems to like it and bond even tighter(or so it seems)....seriously, it lets me get a little off, with a ton of work, but the whole border at this rate will take 3 weeks to just make it look bad..I want to paint over the area (we are selling the house), so need to get it all off from what i have read.....I am ready at this point to just sand it smooth and put a new border up to cover it all up, please help anyone with ideas for me to make this job easier...not simple, I gave up on that, just easier..thanks

Old 04-10-07, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Usually getting the paper backing real wet aids in it's removal.

If all else fails, sand and coat with a solvent based primer. Then you can skim coat with joint compound, sand, prime and paint.

Old 04-10-07, 10:56 AM
unless the wall is textured everywhere else. then you'll have a band of perfectly smooth area, which is bad, too.

i've been able to get off really stubborn paper with super hot water in a spray bottle. spritz it til it's soaking wet (put towels at the bottom of the wall), then use the sharp tip of a utility knife to get under the paper to pull it off. if it comes off in tiny little strips, then get a floor scrubbing brush (really stiff with a handle) and hold it at a 45 degree angle to the wall. run the bristles into & under the edge of the wet paper & it should come off a little better.

how exactly DID you hang this border 6 years ago? did you prime first? was the wall painted? what glue did you use?

Old 04-10-07, 02:05 PM
R
not primed...

did not prime it, it is painted tho, with a texture...do not remember what i put it on with, but I ma sure it was a pretty basic something....I will try the hot water thing...hope that works, if not, I am sanding the rough parts and putting up a new border right over all the old stuff...house is for sale, ans just need it to hold up for a while at least

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: