Remove wallpaper under paint

Old 06-05-07, 01:24 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove wallpaper under paint

Hi. I need to redo my walls. I'd like to strip away all current layers, which include paint over wallpaper. I have scoring tools and DIF - are these the right tools to use, and any special tips on how best to keep the sheetrock intact?

Old 06-05-07, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums

Sounds like a plan, you will need more water and elbow grease than anything. Be sure to have several different size putty/drywall knifes.

Only tip I know to keep the drywall intact is don't or move. I don't know that is possible to remove wallpaper and not have some damage. Using care, taking your time especially when everything is wet is about the best way to minimize damaging the drywall. Repairing drywall isn't all that difficult. If you don't know how, we can guide you thru it.

Old 06-05-07, 04:51 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Mark!
Could you give me a quick list of the order I need to do it? For example, do I wet the wall before scoring, then apply DIF, then peel?
First house, not looking to knock anything down... lol

Old 06-06-07, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If any of the paper is loose, I remove it first. Then score, the dif [I usually just use hot water] has to penetrate to the glue and the backing to be effective. Scoring allows the water to get to the glue.

Some will remove easily once the backing is wet but some areas will make you fight for every inch Usually the wetter it is, the easier it will remove but if the drywall gets good and wet it is easier to damage it also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: