Primer for (new) lathe and plaster?

Old 10-03-07, 12:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Primer for (new) lathe and plaster?

I have an old farm house. The origional walls are lathe and plaster. I just put a fresh coat of joint compound over all of the walls to even them out.
I thought I was going to paint , so I used BINS 3&1 primer on the walls to seal them. Now the wife wants to hang wallpaper. I read someplace that new plaster being papered should have been sealed with an oil based primer.
I've never hung wallpaper so I really don't know what to do. What is wall sizing and where do I get that??? How do I know how much I need? Is there something I can use instead of sizing?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-07, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Sizing is dilluted glue. Yes, priming before hanging paper makes removing the paper easier.

Old 10-04-07, 06:15 AM
My primary concern is the prime coat, no pun intended.
If it WAS supposed to be oil based is it too late to do anything about it??? Can I get away with just the BINS?

Old 10-04-07, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
I assume you mean bullseye 1-2-3 primer. Zinnser's BIN is a pigmented shellac primer.

The bullseye is ok for a primer under wallpaper but oil base is superior for sealing the wall. It can be applied over latex paint.

Old 10-04-07, 10:00 AM
Hi Mark
I used the shellac base. Because these were really old walls there was some bleed thru on the new plaster. I knew the shellac would seal that from doing woodworking.
Should I put an oil over that?, or can I get away with just sizing the wall and hanging the paper?

Old 10-04-07, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pigmented shellac seals better than oil base. You can apply oil base over it but you shouldn't need to.

Old 10-04-07, 04:00 PM
For once I flew by the seat of my pants and got it right
I was really afraid I was going to have to paint over it, what a relief!

Old 10-04-07, 05:24 PM
My dad always used shellac as a primer/sealer. I guess this was in the days before B-I-N and other Zinnser products. I went to the local Porter Paint store in KY, and they had no shellac. The guy did not know if they made it any more. I bought the Zinnser High Hide Odorless to seal OSB from bleed through. I have always found the Zinnser products to be very effective. You can check out their products and find one to meet your need at http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?CategoryID=1

If wallpapering, sizing the walls is important. This will allow for easier removal in the future.

Old 10-05-07, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Zinnser's BIN is a pigmented shellac primer. Pigmented shellac is getting harder to find. Last time I went to the paint store after some, they were out of both BIN and their shellac.

Fortunetly oil primers have come a long way [latex too] I'll never forget when Kilz first came out Even with a respirator there is a big difference between sparying 5 or more gallons of shellac versus 5 gal of Kilz. But there are still times where shellac is the only primer that will seal a stubborn stain.

Old 10-05-07, 12:50 PM
Yesterday while at the big box store I ran across a high hiding oil primer. It's made for covering grafetti. I bought a can, just in case the ole lady springs any more surprises on me.