Foil Wallpaper

Old 10-07-07, 09:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foil Wallpaper

I'm looking at a couple of houses trying to buy. One of them is a GREAT buy at about $64/sq ft. Unfortunately it is a great buy because EVERY ROOM has the original 1970's foil wallpaper (silver with large lemons!!! or the brown & silver in the bathroom..... ).

I am assuming I cannot paint over it (which some other threads have recommended as a last resort when wallpaper was adhered directly to the wall board.) so I need to know what experience anyone has with removing foil wall paper.

(I don't know if it was glued directly to wall board or sized before installation...)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 10:24 AM
For foil, vinyl, and coated wallpapers, you will need to score the paper. Pick up a tool for this job at the local wallpaper store. The Paper Tiger will make thousands of little holes in the paper. The more times you go over the paper, the more holes. There are also wallpaper scrapers that minimize damage to drywall. An enzyme-based gel or liquid solution if given time to do its job will dissolve the adhesive. You may be able to pull of the paper in large sheets with only minimal scraping. If damage occurs to drywall, seal areas with shellac-based primer and make repairs with drywall compound. Two to three thin layers of compound allowed to dry and sanded should make repairs unnoticeable. Then, prime and paint.

Old 10-07-07, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info. At least I know it is doable. I know it would be LOTS of work because there are cathedral ceilings in some of the rooms so that wallpaper goes WAY UP.

Like I said, it is a house that has been on the market for over a year and I'm sure the reason the current owners are trying to sell it without updating is because it would be so much work.....but I'm about to consider giving it a try.