Wallpaper world

Old 01-04-08, 11:56 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpaper world

We just purchased a home and every room is wallpapered. We want tostart one room at a time. What is the easiest(ha-ha) way to get that paper off?

Old 01-04-08, 12:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What type of home is this?

Getting the adhesive wet will allow it to disolve so you can peel the paper off. Often it is necessary to score the paper to allow the water to get to the backing. I usually use an utility knife but they sell a 'wheel' that will score the paper at a predetermined depth - to prevent cutting too deep.

Old 01-04-08, 03:55 PM
T
Paper needs to be scored, so that moisture application can penetrate wallpaper. The scoring gizzmo is called a 'paper tiger' and is available at most wallpaper and paint centers. If all walls were properly 'sized' before application of wallpaper, then removal should be easy. If not, expect drywall damage and the need to make drywall repairs. Further posts of the details of your situation will elicit additonal advice.

Old 01-04-08, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Wallpaper

The "blue" gel remover (from HD) worked great for us, Score it a lot! Spray on the remover (buy an additional gallon) and keep it wet for about 20 min, then it may just peel right off.

Old 01-04-08, 05:19 PM
I have made a living removing this stuff! I could extend this post many paragraphs. First off......buy a few gallons of DIF. Make sure it is the concentrate and not the jell or blue stuff. The concentrate will go the furthest. Get a pump style garden sprayer. Follow the directions for ratio. Always first start to remove the paper from the bottom without any water. Some papers like fabric, heavy vinyls will peel off. The vinyls will leave the paper backing.

Post back with your first room. There is just too many scenarios to write here.

Old 01-07-08, 03:51 AM
M
Downy fabric softener, or similar, mixed in a spray bottle, in a 50-50 mix, with water. Spray on the paper, Let soak & then scrape. Keeps house smelling nice too.

Old 01-07-08, 04:53 AM
G
Smile removing wallpaper

If it was applied over painted walls it comes off pretty easy using the methods others described. Mine was applied over bare sheet rock and it was a real mess to deal with. Impossible to get off with out damaging the sheet rock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: