wallpaper disaster!!!

Old 01-10-08, 01:10 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wallpaper disaster!!!

My wife and I picked out a nice pre-pasted double roll silk-textile wallpaper from Lowes, bought some product on the advice of the lowes lady that you roll onto the back of the wallpaper (pre-pasted wallpaper activator), book for 5 min as per wallpaper recommendation, and then position. We did not prime our walls which has a new sherwin williams flat-latex paint in good condition.

The wallpaper did not stick well and you can peel the sheets off. The worst thing is that there are visible seams all over even though we butted the wet sheets together and then some.

What the heck did we do wrong?

Also, I can recover most of the wallpaper, can I simply apply wallpaper paste and/or soak in tub to try again? Should I primer with acrylic primer as recommended by the wallpaper instructions?

Thanks for your comments!!

Old 01-12-08, 07:32 AM
I have hung thousands of rolls. First never hang over any painted walls especially FLAT painted walls. Also those prepasted activators are not worth a damn. Wash down the walls to get any glue. Go to Sherwin Williams (this is the only place I go to) and get there Wallpaper primer. I assume this is not a dark paper, if it is you should have them tint the primer as close to the backround paper color. If you numbered the sheets that came off you can rehang them. Just make sure they go in order. Get there pro 880 wall paper glue. If you hung the entire room then paste full strength. Prepasted paper I dilute the pro 880 with water. I myself never dip sheets in water anymore. It was the 5% of the time it would fail. The so called Activator stuff did nothing to improve this. Mixing water with glue and applying on prepasted papers has been the cats meow for me. Once you activate the pre paste you can not do it again. So either paste this paper or re-buy and use only water as that should work for you. Soft water works better on pre pasted paper. I forgot what you are supposed to add in hard water before you dip your sheets.

Old 01-12-08, 08:00 PM
P
excellent, I will do that exactly

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: