Wallpaper remover ruined my walls

Old 02-07-08, 08:56 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpaper remover ruined my walls

Good Morning,

I am new so I hope I have put this post in the right place.

I had some border paper removed from one of my rooms. The guy I hired sprayed this liquid all over it and it came off easily. He then spackled over the area that had the border paper on it. I noted long streaks of liquid running down the walls. I asked if he was going to clean them up. He said it didn't have to be cleaned off and I could just paint over them. So I did. NOPE. There are now streaks on my walls and the liquid also ripped off the paint on my ceiling and on the corners between the wall and the ceiling.

This is what I did after realizing just paint wasn't working and trying to clean off the now dried liquid wasn't working: put on 2 coats of KILLZ with proper drying time, then painted with Ben Moore 2 coats with proper drying time. I also used the blue tape properly on the corners, proof of which to me is that I have done 4 rooms in my home and on all 4 rooms the corners are near perfect with straight edges and no touch up needed.

Any suggestions on what to do now? I am thinking that I am going to have to sand down all the walls to get this stuff off before I can re-do all of that work but I don't want to do that if there is a simpler solution. Thanks!

Old 02-07-08, 09:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem is What has happened after primer and paint?
Can you supply a pic? - use a free site like www.photobucket.com

Old 02-07-08, 10:45 AM
B
Hi, Thanks for replying and for the welcome! I will try to take a picture of it. But in the meantime, just to be more specific:

The problem is that the room is painted and through the paint you can see shiny lines running down the wall, it looks like there is water running down the wall, kind of like if you would splash the top of your bathroom mirror with water and the water would trickle down in lines, that is the look I now have on my walls.

Old 02-07-08, 10:49 AM
S
Originally Posted by bellabelog
I noted long streaks of liquid running down the walls. I asked if he was going to clean them up. He said it didn't have to be cleaned off and I could just paint over them.

There are now streaks on my walls
Yup
That information was incorrect
Regardless of whether the streaks were partially disolved adhesive or leftover remover solution, you can not just paint over

It needs to be removed or sealed
Originally Posted by bellabelog
...I...put on 2 coats of KILLZ with proper drying time, then painted with Ben Moore 2 coats with proper drying time.

Any suggestions on what to do now?
Which Kilz did you use?
The latex Kilz products (Premium Kilz, Kilz2, etc) would merely activate the adhesive and not seal it
Original Kilz (oil-based) should have sealed it

If it was one of the latex Kilz products, then I would properly seal the areas with a solvent based sealer (an oil-based primer/sealer should work)

If it was the oil-based Original Kilz, and it's still bleeding through, then a step up to a pigmented shellac is in order
I can suggest Zinsser's BIN
It will seal it

In fact, you could simply step up to BIN even if you used the latex sealers before
It may be a little over-kill (more sealing power than you need), but you won't have to worry about it bleeding through

Old 02-07-08, 12:01 PM
B
Thank you, I just looked at the primer and I used KILZ2 latex, so I will head out and get one that is oil based and do a test spot. If that doesn't work, I will test spot the shellac.

Thank you very much. I hope this works. It would have been cheaper in the long run for me to remove the border paper myself then fix any damage. This has turned into a time consuming nightmare!

Old 02-20-08, 06:26 PM
You can never let any water run down a wall like that. A big reason you wash a wall from the baseboard up. I would let these coating cure for a week before you apply any more primer or paint. Sorry to hear of this time consuming problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: