Application of tounge and groove to interior walls

Old 03-06-08, 10:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Application of tounge and groove to interior walls

I am applying tongue and groove siding (vertical application)
to the interior walls of a home. I don't have any problem with the actual application, my question is "What is the correct and most effective way to prepare the walls before the final application. Like do I need to put up backer board (as used in Tile work) to make sure that my walls are uniformly plumb before I start. I don't claim to know all of the fancy construction lingo so please bear with me.

Thanks JOHN

Old 03-06-08, 01:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Welcome to the forums John!

Is the T&G going on a bare stud wall? or is there existing wallboard?

When installing T&G vertically you need to have something to nail it to. This can be accomplished by either installing strapping [1x's] horizontally across all the studs or 2x4 blocking between the studs.

Old 03-06-08, 03:26 PM
M
Reply to Marksr on type of wall structure

Hello Marksr,

Thank you for your response. And to answer your question on the type of wall I'm dealing with is that it is an existing wall.

It is an exceptionally old house and part of the wall is brick and part is the standard drywall covered with paneling which leads me to believe that it was originally built for a different application and has been modified to a home.

Any way the gentlemen that I'm helping has the Idea of using liquid nails or some thing similar in order to adhere the boards to the wall. Now I've worked a little in tile and we would level the playing surface by first laying down backer board with adhesive and nails before laying the tile.
I think it should be nailed but what about the brick and do you think the application he has in mind will be adequate for what he wants. Sorry for rambling but I don't get the chance to socialize much ha ha. \

Thank you
JOHN

Old 03-07-08, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
IMO it would be best to nail/screw strapping to the wall first. Use a 1x3 for strapping [1x4 or 1x2 will also work] Use tap cons [masonary screw] to attach the strapping to the brick. You will want to make sure the walls are both level and even, you may need to shim behind some of the strapping to accomplish this.

Old 03-08-08, 09:56 AM
M
Thanks Marksr

Thank you for the information you gave me it is greatly appreciated and Ill let you know how it comes out.

Thanks again,
Morrel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: