Boat wallpaper

Old 04-01-08, 10:10 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boat wallpaper

I had to strip off the old stained wall covering in our boat, this nasty nylon carpet-like stuff other boaters referred to as 'rat hair' or 'monkey fur.' It looked like it was rubber cemented in place. Now I have bare fiberglass hull (walls) in the cabin, and I want to put up vinyl wallpaper. How do I prepare the rough, scratchy fiberglass? How do I make sure the wallpaper will be mold and mildew resistant?

Old 04-01-08, 11:02 PM
K
I wouldn't do anything to the hull that interferes with timely patching. You never know.

I did a bit of research and here's my advice:

Use a decorative fibreglass wallcovering.

See example textures: http://www.eclipse-wallcoverings.co.uk/textures.html

It's a patterned fibreglass cloth, which may contain some pleasing colours. It is lightly coated with resin at the factory, to bind the fibers. This renders fibreglass wallcovering less floppy than natural fabric or paper. The wallcovering is commonly used institutionally, industrially. It can't burn, stain, or rip, and you can power wash it. Kick yer boots off.

There are two ways to apply, depending on whether it's sold to a home decorator or a commercial client. The former, they use glue. And they sometimes paint it. The latter (I think with your application you can ride that category) they roller on resin, embed the cloth, then sometimes "paint" with clear or pigmented gel coat. In other words, they apply it much like utility fibreglass cloth, and it's as strong as you'd expect. Only it sports the good looks of a wall fabric.

Old 04-02-08, 10:47 PM
Wink

I think this is the same post you had before here. Id just sand the walls down a little with a belt sander or jitter bug one. You could use the headliner that is foam backed and it is . Flame and mildew resistant. I see a lot of boats come in and they have that spatter paint on the fiberglass hull is all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: