florida humidity ruining my wallpaper

Old 04-24-08, 12:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
florida humidity ruining my wallpaper

i really dont know what to do to keep my wallpaper treatment from peeling easily. i live in florida and i blame the humidity here for ruining my walls. i bought waterproof wallpaper but they really dont last long still. please help!

Last edited by mattison; 04-24-08 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Edited offensive language out of title.
Old 04-24-08, 10:20 AM
T
Running HVAC year round helps with humidity control. Humidity should be maintained between 35-55%. Pick up a hygrometer where thermometers are sold and monitor humidity. Humidity can vary between rooms, with kitchen and baths being higher. If humidity is high, run dehumidifiers. If humidity is high enough to peel wallpaper, it is possible that you have mold and mildew behind it. Perhaps switching to painted walls would also help. Painted walls are all the rage, especially with all the new paint colors.

Old 04-24-08, 10:37 AM
Wink

Boy have to ask did you prep the walls right first??? I even had wallpaper in some baths there in FL and it stayed on the wall all the time?????

Old 04-24-08, 11:34 AM
T
Good point about the surface prep for wallpaper. Peel and stick wallpapers tend to peel. Most installers go ahead and use wallpaper paste even if peel and stick.

Walls should be clean and free of any contaminants such as oils and soils. Primer/sealer is often recommended to prep the surface for wallpaper, seal in stains, and provide fresh surface. This is done prior to applying the wallpaper sizing. The sizing provides added adhesion.

Old 04-24-08, 11:46 AM
Running HVAC year round helps with humidity control. Humidity should be maintained between 35-55%.

why waste the resources to create a artificial environment just for wallpaper (not to mention the $$$)

we run HVAC maybe three months out of 12

find a wall covering that matches the local environment rather than the other way around

Old 04-24-08, 12:10 PM
T
Yes, I hit a few sites searching for Florida + peeling wallpaper. One issue was the snowbirds leaving houses closed up for months until they return. Without humidity control, wallpaper can peel. Another issue, was that many want to open doors and windows and enjoy the balmy Floridian temps. The downside is the entry of humidity indoors. Good point about having walls that hold up to the environmental conditions.

There are many wallpaper fans, but current decorating trends tend to be favoring paint. There are so many new paint colors that have decorators itching to get them onto walls. If you watch hgtv makeover shows, the first thing the decorators do is pull off the wallpaper and paint. It's a lot easier to change a paint color than wallpaper as decorating trends change.

Old 04-24-08, 03:51 PM
Good wall prep is important! I have found that the glue is the culprit. Fabric backed wall coverings using clay based glue I have found to last in bathrooms. The clear 880 from Roman Adhesives will not hold up at all in humidity. I stopped using it in basements and bathrooms. With pre pasted papers they all are there own animal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: