removing wallpaper

Old 05-15-08, 02:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing wallpaper

Does anyone know of a product you can put on wallpaper to make removal easier? I thought I saw such a product on either HGTV or DIY.

Old 05-15-08, 05:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've always found water to work the best. The trick is getting the water to the backing where it can disolve the adhesive. On many wallpapers this can be best achieved by scoring the paper so the water can penetrate tothe backing.

Nagra [one of the wallpaper moderators] uses a product that he's fond of but at the moment I forget the name I'm sure he'll chime in later

Old 05-16-08, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a product called DIF. It has an enzyme that helps to break down starch. The main base ingredient in wall covering glue. Menards or the local paint store. I recommend the concentrate gallon. They have newer versions that are gel you can just roll on but have a bit of blue tint which can stain. The concentrate is your best bang for the buck. You can get a garden sprayer and mist it on the walls being careful not to let it run down too much on the baseboard. Keep the woodwork dry by keeping a lot of dry rags around. There is a lot more advise depending on the type of wallpaper you are trying to remove.

As soon as I get the chance I am going to write a detailed sticky on this subject. In the meantime sheriginbv, chime back with the details as you get going.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: