Vinyl Wall Coverings & Paste

Old 06-05-08, 08:07 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Wall Coverings & Paste

Hello,
I am getting ready to strip the walls of my bathroom, using a steamer. I need some recommendations such as wall preparation, primer, ready made paste or should I mix my own from powder. Also what are the causes that make seams open up?
I will probally be purchasing pre-pasted wall covering but will add my own paste. Should I ignore soaking in water?

Old 06-05-08, 05:24 PM
I recommend using DIF concentrate with a garden pump sprayer. It works faster then straight up hot water. Wash thoroughly. Use joint compound on all imperfections and sand smooth. Then use Sherwin Williams Pro wall covering primer and let them tint it to the background color of your wallpaper. This is important with mid to deep base color paper. Sherwin has a great glue by Roman Adhesives "pro 880" clear. If pre-pasted paper is used, dilute 50/50 water and glue and apply over the dry pre-pasted paper.

Seams will come up with bad prep to the walls. Also humidity will cause this. What room is this??

Old 06-05-08, 06:31 PM
R
I have two bathrooms that will get new wallpaper. The second floor bathroom must have had the most humidity as all the seams opened up. I just installed a fan/light/timer switches in both rooms and this should help with the humidity. Thanks for the advise. I will follow it.

Old 06-05-08, 06:56 PM
Some bathrooms are hard to dissipate the humidity regardless of the fans. Keep the door open with showers and monitor the seams. Good luck.

Old 06-10-08, 03:19 AM
P
Originally Posted by nagra4s View Post
If pre-pasted paper is used, dilute 50/50 water and glue and apply over the dry pre-pasted paper.
Hey Nagra try this. I don't know if SW has it but Duron has something they call a pre paste activator. Makes it a whoooooooole lot easier than a 50/50. Plenty of tack to keep the seams from shrinking back but enough slip so you can work with it. Plus you can generally paste up two or three sheets at a time instead of only one with the 50/50.

Old 06-12-08, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Paperhanger View Post
Hey Nagra try this. I don't know if SW has it but Duron has something they call a pre paste activator. Makes it a whoooooooole lot easier than a 50/50. Plenty of tack to keep the seams from shrinking back but enough slip so you can work with it. Plus you can generally paste up two or three sheets at a time instead of only one with the 50/50.
I have had bad luck with the activator pastes. No better then water with the few times I have tried it. But the 50/50 has worked out great. I will test a piece with water first to see what kind of glue I get. Then add little or more water to this 50/50.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: