removing wallpaper question

Old 06-27-08, 11:35 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing wallpaper question

Am sure many of your have had experience with this issue; have rooms that where wallboarded and primed at time of construction. Some rooms where even painted for a while but all rooms have since been wallpapered. Although prepasted pape was used, I always found that rolling it up, sticking it a pan, pulling out this huge piece and trying to hang it was a pain, so I continued to hang paper the way might father taught me, paste, fold it and hang it. Now I want to change some rooms and knowing that the wallboard had been primed and/or painted, what is the best way to remove this without damaging the wall board.....a particular solution maybe or a steamer? Anyone that has some great tips and/or solutions, would love to hear from you.
Thanks

Old 06-27-08, 12:39 PM
R
I just did two bathrooms. I also own a steamer but did not use it. Its reserved for difficult to remove wallpaper. I was able to pull off a piece of the outer vinyl layer and the rest came off easier leaving the inner paper liner still on the wall which I then used wall paper remover on it by using a large garden type sprayer. you can use plain water but its not as effective as the remover. Be careful how much you apply to the wall because I over did it in one area and it soften the primer. This made it a bit messy to remove the inner layer.

Doing the job like your Father did is the best way. You will need a 3 foot by 8 foot hard surface to work on. You can purchase ready mixed wallpaper adhesive at most paint stores. I found that I still had to dilute the adhesive as it was too thick. After you hang the first paper, you will know if it needs diluting.

Apply your adhesive and book the wallpaper and then see how easy it is to apply it to the wall.
I used a paint roller to apply the adhesive and believe thats better then using a brush. To each his own. Some stores may have a pamplet detailing how to do inside and outside corners.
Instead of using a plumb bob to mark a vertical line down the wall for lining up your first paper, I used a 4 foot level to make my marks and then join them, being careful that the top is plumb with the bottom.
You also may need some spackle and primer for repairs.
The only difficulty I had was trimming off the excess paper. It would tear in some spots as I moved a sharp blade over it. Maybe I need to let it dry before trying to remove it.
Its my opinion that the prepasted wallpaper does not have enough adhesive on it.
Other tools needed are:
Paint tray and 9 inch roller for your adhesive.
Short hair brush for smoothing out the paper.
A small wooden roller for use on seams. (use only where needed and apply light pressure)
Sometimes additional adhesive may be needed at the seams.
Plenty of cutting blades.
3 gallon bucket of fresh water and rags to wipe down wallpaper to remove any adhesive on the surface.
Change the water often.

Old 06-27-08, 12:51 PM
G
Smile remove

First ... Wallpaper should be outlawed. There is no fast, EASY removal. Score the paper, spray an area good with Diff, let set 20 or 30 minutes. Keep paper moist and respray when necessary. Use a putty knife and a lot of care and patience. If the wall was painted it shoud come off better, if not, its a pain in the arse and almost impossible to get off without damaging the sheet rock.

Old 06-27-08, 06:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
A lot depends on what type of paint is under the drywall. Wallpaper over enamel is the easiest to remove. IMO water works as well as anything else. The main thing is to get the adhesive wet!

Be prepared to repair the walls but if you don't need to - consider yourself lucky

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: