Removing Burlap Wallpaper/cover

Old 06-30-08, 03:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Burlap Wallpaper/cover

I have a bedroom that has burlap as a wallcovering (like wallpaper) that I want to remove. I know it's been there for at least 30 years and have no idea what to use to remove it. It is peeling, so I know most of it will come off somewhat with ease. THEN, I need to know what to do to clean up the walls. I would like to paint them but, I did that in my bathroom and the glue is still somewhat seeping through the new paint (although I won't have the moisture on the walls from the shower). I used some cleaner (red spray bottle) I got at a wallpaper/paint store that was recommended and did clean the walls thoroughly. I also can kind of see that there is some residual wallpaper underneath the burlap. . . . any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Old 06-30-08, 07:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums Stacey!

It should be fairly easy to remove. More than likely all the face will peel off leaving the backing. Wet the backing and scrape with a broad knife.

If you wind up with adhesive that won't budge - it will need to be coated with an oil base primer or zinnser's gardz prior to painting.

Old 06-30-08, 07:52 PM
Grass clothe/burlap is one of the easy wallcoverings to remove. I suggest not pulling down the top layer (dusty for one reason) but to spray with a garden sprayer and DIF concentrate (Menards, Sherwin Williams) right over the front. The front will soak up the water right to the glue. The front holds the water and will continue to break down the enzyme of the glue. Wait 30 minutes to 45 and continue to spray so it does not get the chance to dry. Then work on one strip at a time scrubbing the glue off. You should have little problems cleaning all the glue. But do get it all.

Old 07-01-08, 07:14 AM
S
Thank you both for your advice - I can't wait to get started on my project!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: