Vintage newspaper/wallpaper worries

Old 08-02-08, 08:04 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vintage newspaper/wallpaper worries

Advice please..I just purchased a "fixer-upper" as my first home and found a box full of vintage newpapers from the 50's and 60's. They have awesome headlines that I would like to use as wallpaper for my bathroom. They of course have yellowed, but I can deal with that. (It just affects my color palette) What I am worried about is prepping the walls, what kind of glue to use, ripping of the pages, bleeding ink, and proper sealing from the moisture in the bathroom. Has anyone attempted this? Please share your experiences and pointers. Thanks, long road ahead....

Old 08-04-08, 03:06 PM
D
Congrats!

No pro and never heard of how to do it but an option would be to frame them and hang them up as they might be worth millions later! j/k. Dunno anything about that but from the 60's and 60's? Cool!

BTW: Welcome to the forums

Old 08-05-08, 02:24 PM
i would do a test. take a piece of the newsprint & rip it into the desired size. brush wallpaper paste onto a test surface, then press the newsprint onto the glued surface. use a smoother to get out air bubbles & try not to schmear the ink. then sit back & see what happens. i would think it would be transparent when wet, but dry opaque. see how it looks once dried. try layering several pieces together, overlapping different ways. once you're sure of how you can get the paper UP, then do a test for sealing it all in. i would think this would end up being almost like decoupage-ing the walls, and less like wallpapering. i might try this in a powder room, but not sure it's a good option for a bathroom used for steamy showers.

PS.........search this topic for the words "newspaper" and "maps".......this question has been asked before, but i can't remember the answer!!!

Old 08-06-08, 01:55 PM
T
Thanks for the advice, great to be here. looking forward to getting some more great ideas and insight!

Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
Congrats!

No pro and never heard of how to do it but an option would be to frame them and hang them up as they might be worth millions later! j/k. Dunno anything about that but from the 60's and 60's? Cool!

BTW: Welcome to the forums

Old 08-22-08, 11:37 AM
M
Old old newspaper wallpaper

While renovating a bathroom in my 1917 colonial revival home, we found newspapers from that era used as insulation in the walls. Carefully pulling it out, I want to reuse it to paper some of the walls in my cool vintage attic (the relevance is uncanny!). It is very fragile and I love the brown color. I'm fine with it crumbling somewhat as well. It's amazing when you realize what life was like at the time your house was built. Thank you for the tips for applying it - but I'm still not sure about an over-glaze. Any more thoughts are quite appreciated!

Old 08-22-08, 04:04 PM
T
Apply newspaper as you wallpaper to walls. Seal with a couple coats of clear polyurethane or tinted varnish for a more antique look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: