Removed Wallpaper Now Drywall Damage

Old 08-26-08, 06:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removed Wallpaper Now Drywall Damage

I removed the wallpaper that has been in my bathroom for as long as we have owned the place (5 years). I first tried to score a section and used DIF concentrate as this worked perfect in my other bathroom. Apparently the previous owners used vinyl wallpaper in this bath. So I peeled of the top layer leaving the brown backing. I then reused DIF as instructed and begin removing. For the most part the paper was coming off however, I'm now left with what look like paint peeling, but I'm not sure. I could just be the very top layer of the drywall.

If I pull it it will come off and usually just break shortly after. If I try to sand it in order to smooth it out it curls and feels gummy. I'm not sure what to do. I plan on painting the wall but using Gardz first as my primer.

Here is what I'm faced with in various areas.:

Old 09-04-08, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the top layer of drywall is paper. it won't feel gummy. latex paint will feel gummy. i think you've got latex paint that's peeling away from improperly prepped drywall. if you can't get it off, then you've got to go over it. you can get joint compound & skim coat your surface. that means to apply a thin film of j/c to the entire surface, let it dry, then gently "sand" it smooth with a totally wrung out damp sponge. you may need to do several thin layers to get it perfectly smooth. or you can do a texture or design, if you want. when it's all smooth & dry, you need to prime the j/c, then paint.

if all that sounds like too much, you can also simply hang a textured paintable wallpaper over that mess & then paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: