Removing paint under wallpaper

Old 10-21-08, 06:00 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing paint under wallpaper

Hi,

I have just pulled off some wallpaper and it came of really nice. Big easy chunks.

However, under the wallpaper, there are large sporadic areas of brown paint on the nice pink plaster.

The paint is very thin but in some places it is flakey like on an old car with a dent - you can flake it off with your fingers.

I want to paint the wall but I am afraid this paint will show through so I am wondering how best to remove it.

1. Orbital sander - worked but LOTS of dust and quite time consuming.
2. Heat gun? Haven't tried it yet.
3. Paint stripper? Haven't tried it yet
4. Scraper - works but VERY time consuming and I was making marks in the wall.

What would you suggest as the best method to remove this paint prior to painting my walls? (matt magnolia)

Old 10-21-08, 10:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Are you sure it's paint? It might be some of the wallpaper backing, if so it should be fairly easy to remove if you get it wet.

If it is paint, the best method is scraping what is loose and then skimming the area with joint compound.

Old 10-21-08, 10:22 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow thanks MarkSR

I am quite sure it is paint as there is another colour on another wall. It appears water proof like a gloss maybe.

I am not familiar with joint compound but would it be some kind of smooth sand'able stuff that is easier to apply than plaster?

Is is appropriate to cover large areas? some of these paint areas are quite large, or would I just to the edges of the paint to blend in to the wall?

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 10-21-08, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Joint compound is normally found in 1 gallon and 5 gal buckets where drywall is sold. It can be applied over sound plaster and paint although any gloss should be scuffed up some with sandpaper. J/C can either be applied over the entire area or just around the edges - whichever will look best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: