What do I do after wallpaper is removed?

Old 11-24-08, 07:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do I do after wallpaper is removed?

Hi! I want to thank all of you for your advice on removing wallpaper from untreated wallboard. I have a bathroom with a cathedral ceiling and the contractors wanted big bucks to remove it. I got it all off with very little damage to the walls thanks to vinegar! My question is what do I prime the walls with before I paint them? I never want to see wallpaper again! Also, do I prime before I skim coat the minor damage? Any advice is greatfully appreciated.

Old 11-25-08, 04:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Unless you are convinced you got all the wallpaper adhesive off - it is best to coat the walls with either zinnser's gardz or most any interior oil base primer. This will prevent the adhesive from causing any issues with the paint.

If the drywall paper face is torn or missing, it is best to prime those areas first. That will prevent the moisture in joint compound or latex paint/primer from disolving the paper's bond with the gypsum. If this bath has a shower, I'd recomend using a latex enamel [any sheen] for a top coat - kitchen and bath paint would be even better.

Old 11-30-08, 05:24 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wallpaper

Thanks for those tips -- will help me with upcoming project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: