Wallpaper removal & Re-painting

Old 01-27-09, 03:06 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpaper removal & Re-painting

I am removing wallpaper-underneath is sizing. Can I paint over the sizing? I was told to use Zinsser Bullseye 123 as a Primer first. Does this sound right? The wall is covered in sizing. Thanks! Jina

Old 01-27-09, 03:33 AM
T
All wallpaper adhesive will have to be removed prior to priming. If not, there will be adhesion problems and paint failure. Proper surface prep is crucial to any paint job.

The pros tend to recommend washing down walls with TSP (trisodium phosphate) prior to painting. Some good old Spic N Span and a scrubbie for the stubborn areas should remove the adhesive. Make sure you rinse at least twice to remove any adhesive residue or cleaning solution.

Then, make any necessary repairs to walls. Prime with a quality primer. Unless covering dark paint, you will likely be able to get away with one coat of primer. Then, apply two coats of latex paint.

Old 01-27-09, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Zinnser's gardz would be a better primer to use than their bullseye.

I've never been fond of using TSP inside. It must be rinsed well or it can cause adhession problems..... or maybe I'm just lazy and rely on the water hose/pressure washer to rinse it when I use it on exterior repaints

Old 01-27-09, 05:02 AM
T
I don't use TSP. I read the label at the store and set it back down. Spic N Span is good for washing down walls for painting. Label says not to use on painted surfaces. But, if it will remove oils, soils, and wallpaper paste on walls for painting, it's a lot safer than using TSP. If it removes a little latex, it's no big deal. At least your are sure the walls are good and clean for painting. It is important to rinse very good to remove any remaining adhesive residue and cleaning solution. Allow walls to thoroughly dry before priming.

"And rely on the water hose/pressure washer to rinse it when I use it on exterior repaints." Does this mean we can't use the pressure washer indoors?

I am laughing because a few years back on an internet forum a woman posted that she stopped by her mother's house. Her mother was in the process of washing her walls down in preparation for painting. The mother had dragged the water hose in from the patio and was in the process of hosing the walls down. The daughter posted, "What do I do now?"

Old 01-27-09, 08:46 AM
T
Wallpaper Removal & re-painting -Chomp?

I called the paint store & they recommended Dif or Chomp. I googled both & Chomp seems to be a better product. Has anyone use this? Thanks! Jina

Old 01-27-09, 12:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Some swear by DIF, others swear at it
I don't recall ever having used chomp but none of the paper strippers I've used have inpressed me any. IMO warm water works as good as anything - it all requires a fair amount of elbow grease
The biggest help is getting the paper backing wet. On vinly paper this means scoring the vinyl so the water can get to it.

Old 01-28-09, 10:47 PM
T
If stripping wallpaper, many forum posters recommend 1 tablespoon fabric softener in one quart spray bottle of water. A paper tiger from the paper/paint store is used to score the paper, making little holes, the more the better, to allow the solution to better soak the paper. Then, a putty knife is used to help lift and strip the paper. After the paper is removed, the wall has to be washed and rinsed to remove all residues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: